Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 PM

Default PF Check Up A9s BTN

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($22.25)
UTG ($38.60)
MP ($24)
CO ($49.25)
Hero ($51.45)
SB ($49.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $7.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls $7, Hero calls $5.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: PF Check Up A9s BTN

I would just cold-call preflop and try to flop something good. There's little value in trying to take down a pot preflop with this type of hand. I'd rather raise 72o to $3 here.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just cold-call preflop and try to flop something good. There's little value in trying to take down a pot preflop with this type of hand. I'd rather raise 72o to $3 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

then why did you raise KJs on the btn in the earlier hand?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($22.25)
UTG ($38.60)
MP ($24)
CO ($49.25)
Hero ($51.45)
SB ($49.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $7.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls $7, Hero calls $5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the point of this raise is.

If you are trying to buy the pot preflop, then raise more and take it.

If you are trying to pump money into the pot, consider that CO's raising standards have to be pretty loose in order for you to be ahead here. And why are you pumping money into a pot where you are likely to be dead even or behind?

The move here is to call with A9s because if you raise and are reraised, the hand is too strong to let go even though you are likely way behind. Sklansky says this somewhere, perhaps TOP. He puts it, "never raise with a hand where you don't welcome a reraise either because your happy to call it or happy to fold." A9s is not a reraising hand, except in very specific instances.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then why did you raise KJs on the btn in the earlier hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally different context. I was the initial aggressor in that pot. Raising preflop there sets up more opportunities for me to take down a lot of pots by semi-bluffing and with generally aggressive play. I can also use position to take free cards or bail if the action is not favorable.

In your hand, someone has already shown aggression. If they have a big preflop hand, you will be in a good position to stack them when you hit. Also, calling only costs 1/50th of your stack, and it should easy enough to get away from top pair with position if need be. Reraising opens up the possibility of someone 4-betting, and forcing you to fold a hand that would love to see a flop in this spot.

Again, why turn A9s into 72o? Both hands can't take a reraise, and but atleast with 72o you don't care if someone reraises.