Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 AM

Default $33: 2 Pair First Level

Sorry no hand history.

Preflop: Blinds 10-20. Second hand of the tourney.

Relevant stacks: Hero = 1480, BB = 1500.

UTG+2 and CO+1 limps. Hero limps with [ Ac 9s ] on the button. SB and BB check/calls.

Pot is 100.

Flop: [As Jc 9c]

Checked to hero. Hero bets 50, bb calls and everyone else folds.

Pot is 200.

Turn: As Jc 9c [3d]

BB checks. Hero bet 90, BB raises to 180, Hero raises to 300, BB raises to 420, I call.

Pot is 1040.

River: As Jc 9c 3d [7c]

BB goes all-in. Hero ???

Edit: Comments on all streets are welcome and preferred.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: $33: 2 Pair First Level

Fold Pre-flop, then move in after his raise on the turn.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold Pre-flop, then move in after his raise on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 AM

Almost any two cards are playable on the button at this buyin when it costs only 20 chips to see the flop in a pot of 100. Some people will bluff in a 5-way pot with nothing and I'd like to take their chips now rather than taking it from someone else's stack later.

By the way, I would have pushed on the turn but I'm not ready to go broke early in the tournament with 2 pair when I can very much find a better situation later on in the tournament.With a set, yes, but not with 2 pair.

What would you guys think he had?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Any thoughts? I do realize that the turn is very debatable, but I wasn't willing to shove all my chips in with 2 pair this early in what started as a multiway pot when he coulda had a set all along. I'd need more reasoning than just 'shove it in'.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do realize that the turn is very debatable, but I wasn't willing to shove all my chips in with 2 pair this early in what started as a multiway pot when he coulda had a set all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're willing to burn a third of your stack and then fold to a potential river bluff with it? If you're really worried about a set, you can't re-raise the turn. What's he got a set of though? Threes? Nines? If he caught his two outer on the turn, so be it. I think it's much more likely that he's on a draw or playing a pair of aces or jacks. Ax of clubs playing this way wouldn't blow my mind, but you've got the Ac, so that's out.

Personally, I lead the turn for more like 2/3 of the pot, and I'm probably all-in if he comes over the top. There are just too many hands he could have here that you're beating on the turn to let him get to the river without paying for it.

I'm also insta-mucking this pre-flop at this point in the tourney. If you're not going to make money on two pair here, there's really not much point playing it. You really going to play top pair-9 kicker hard, or hoping for a 9-high un-coordianted flop?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:33 PM

set or AJ, i'm willing to bet set by the way he played.

And i also fold pre-flop but I also play the 800 chip tourneys so the few chips in the beginning hurt your stack more.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Pre - fine to limp.

Flop - Should have raised more than half the pot. You have flopped a very strong hand, but not strong enough, particularly online, to only bet 1/2 the pot. I would bet between 3/4 and the pot, maybe a little more. Bad mistake there IMO.

Turn - Again, you underbet badly. Pot was 200, with a relatively harmless card and the clubs still lurking, my first bet would be the pot, the I would immediately move all in if he raised. The only thing I would even be remotely worried about would be a set of nines, but you should not worry about monsters in the closet. Do not let him catch his flush or a higher two pair.

River - A clear fold IMO. You have let him catch his flush more than likely, or he has a set of nines. Based on the quick all-in, I would guess he is an inexperienced player who caught a flush and assumes you will call him. He may also have had a pair of aces and a flush draw. Either way, you still have plenty of chips left to cut your losses and move on.

Next time, protect your hand on the flop and turn.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Axc, ak, possibly AJ, or two clubs.

NM.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Thank you for your replies =).

I limp with A9 late here because of bad,bad players and I have position, which I rate as the single most important attribute in a multi-way pot against bad players. If I had a choice between AA UTG and J6o on the button in a 5-way unraised pot on the first level, I'd choose J6o.

The reason why I didn't bet too hard on the turn was because...well, I didn't want to go broke. I'm not afraid of monsters under the bed, it's just that my hand is not that spectacular. Knowing that now though...I probably shouldn't have reraised him. I just figured that if he merely called my reraise, then I would know that he was on a flush draw and not a set.