Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 AM

Default drunken question about the world

so thers like constant debate about whether god made the world or the big bang made the world or god made the big bang or wahtever blah blah balh. but what happened BEFORE all that? where di all the random gasses come from that made teh universe? where did god come from? was there ever a time when there was NOTHING anywehre? if so how did evertying start and if not, then how the [censored] not, i dont get it. i mean, when you think about things in terms of all the gasses out in space in this huge universe, the stuff on earth in terms of one human life, or a family or an entire city or state just seem riduculously insignifigant. i guess what it comes down to is why is the world/universe here, why are we ehre, and wehre the [censored] did it all come from and WHY?

sorry for the drnken rambling,

peace
Old 09-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: drunken question about the world

Where you are going is more important than from where you came. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
<font color="white">Sits quietly holding a cube shaped gift from a girl named Pandora.</font>
Old 09-22-2005, 04:36 AM

but isnts whwer we came from a preetty important determanint of where we are goinng&gt;
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but isnts whwer we came from a preetty important determanint of where we are goinng&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, ofcourse.

But I believe one must prioritize between primary and secondary.

We know where we came from pre-birth (ie- sperm &gt; egg &gt; fetus &gt; "waaa!") and can only assume we didn't have consciousness (disregarding the concept of reincarnation) we unfortunately know less about what happens after death.

It could be the same, a "return to no consciousness", yet many religions say otherwise, and so one must either choose to investigate or not. (Then after investigation, accept or reject.)

Since ever religion has a "start" story which will never be concretely verified as being correct or incorrect due to the transmission and lack of detail, one must rely on other information to make an informed "wager" (and it is a wager) concerning the afterlife. (if it exists)

Just my 2c.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since ever religion has a "start" story which will never be concretely verified as being correct or incorrect due to the transmission and lack of detail, one must rely on other information to make an informed "wager" (and it is a wager) concerning the afterlife. (if it exists)

[/ QUOTE ]

"a wager"
Wow, that's a very interesting thing to say. You make a wager. A well informed wager. I mean, hey, that's just being honest calling it a wager. I like that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:20 AM

Scientific evidence suggests it all came from nothing. Or at least nothing that we have any means to comprehend.

Why we're here is a question each person needs to answer for oneself.

In terms of the total amount of matter and energy in the universe, we are quite insignificant. It's a very humbling thought.

The whole question of why implies some purpose, some intentionality. Many ways to answer why and I'm not sure which is the correct one.

I also like the notion of making it a wager. Of course, the idea agrees with how I see our existence which makes it attractive, but it does a nice job of describing my belief (or really, lack thereof).

And your drunken ramblings are always welcome here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:27 AM

"Where man is now, God was. Where God is now, man will be."
Mormon scripture I found interesting. Wish I could tell you the exact reference but I don't know it.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where you are going is more important than from where you came. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
<font color="white">Sits quietly holding a cube shaped gift from a girl named Pandora.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think where you are now &gt; where you are going &gt; where you came from, but thats just me.

Heh, I didn't notice the white-out. Don't let that hope escape.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:22 AM

This thread is such a disappointment given the title.