Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:51 AM

Default River checkraise bluff

Late night Party 30/60 and over the past few monts I've been enjoying the novelty of check raising the river a bunch for value, with varying degrees of success.

I don't think I've pulled off a river checkraise at this table yet but the villain in this hand is a regular in the game who may have noticed this tendency of mine.

Anyways, figured that my opponent was tight enough and observant enough that he would bet tons of lots of pairs on this river hoping to get a call from ace high or possibly a worse pair. I figured I was gonna call so why not throw in that extra bet in a spot where I'd usually have a very strong hand.

Opponent in this hand is a TAG (16/11/1.6) and goes to showdown 34% of the time.

Folds to me in the sb and I'm dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I raise, villain calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Bet call

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Bet, call. I almost always opt for betting this turn, how often are people checkraising or check calling?

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I checkraise quickly
Old 09-21-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: River checkraise bluff

I like it. Adds a certain thrill the hand if villain holds 64 or T2 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM

You're getting called by any pair on Party close to 100% of the time.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been enjoying the novelty of check raising the river a bunch for value, with varying degrees of success.

[/ QUOTE ]if by varying degrees of success you mean they pay it off every time then ive had similar results.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM

I disagree. But I think you can safely say you'll be called more than the 3-1 odds the pot is offering with this play. Unless you have a really good feel at the moment.

- Jim
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost always opt for betting this turn, how often are people checkraising or check calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the place to check/raise bluff. I think you might get a better hand to fold.

FWIW, on the river I think you are going to get called most of the time. If you pulled off some value check/raises on the river earlier at this table, then it might work.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 PM

River CR is definitely not a good strategy here, especially on online games. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
ok so how much money is put in the pot?
5.5 SB pre.
2 SB on the flop.
2 BB on the turn.
1 BB(prior to your CR) on the river.

so approx. 7 BB in the pot
so you CR the river => +2 BB => approx. 9 BB in the pot.
you are giving him 1 to 9 to call the river.
his stat is 16/11/1.6 with 34% goes to showdown. I do not know what his river call rate is. However, given this stat, it is highly unlikely that he is going to fold.
I believe it is -EV play here.
He is a tight player. but he called u all the way to the turn. what kind of hands can you possibly put him on.
flush draw, any PP, or a pair with a good kicker( can assume this due to his call on the turn.)
We agree that online players do not fold.(of course they do time to time)
If you want to make a move, then better do it on the turn. You might have the best hand.
However, river CR bluff?! with not much info, I doubt that it is a good play.
It will definitely work better in live games though.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 PM

I reserve river check-raises for value because they always get called by any made hand (or so it seems). I don't think your opponent is going to bet a hand here on the river that he's intending to fold to a check-raise. Because you open raised from SB, your hand range is pretty wide and I think a thinking player is gonna look you up.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I reserve river check-raises for value because they always get called by any made hand (or so it seems). I don't think your opponent is going to bet a hand here on the river that he's intending to fold to a check-raise. Because you open raised from SB, your hand range is pretty wide and I think a thinking player is gonna look you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus every draw in the world missing
Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 PM

I agree with the consensus that your play is not likley positive EV but your history and his knowledge of it does make it a little more appealing.

As an aside, I find that river checkraise bluffs generally can't be planned. I have pulled them off only when my opponent whom I expect to check if I check or call if I bet, suddenly bets out of the blue when I check. At that point, if I am actually paying enough attention (which unfortunatley is not always the case when multitabling), I have managed to pull of a river checkraise bluff now and then.

In your hand, I would almost expect him to bet when I check thereby negating the possibility of a good bluff checkraise.

Writing this however leads me to believe that I should checkraise here - rather than bet out - with AA or even AT but not AQ as with that hand, it's less likely that my opponent will have a hand that he would consider value betting.