Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Hi/Lo Split Poker

Hi,

I'm relatively new to this site, and I had a question about books on hi/lo split poker (more specifically 7-card Stud). If anyone (which I know there has to be someone out there) has read the Hi/Lo Split Poker book from, guess who, 2+2, written by Ray Zee could give me their impression on the book and whether or not it was worth it to them to buy it?

I'm really getting into Hi/Lo now and I've read David's section in Super System on Hi/Lo, but I am contimplating on whether or not to get the Hi/Lo Split Poker by Ray Zee. Tell me what you think...
Old 09-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo Split Poker

If you're serious about hi/lo, this book is a must-buy. It's THE authoritative work on these games IMO. Buy it, it's a value at 10 times the price.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Get Zee's book.

Check out the FAQ at the top of the page, also make sure to realize what Skalansky wrote in Super/System is for Hi/Low with no qualifier which is totally different then Stud8 and Omaha8.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make sure to realize what Skalansky wrote in Super/System is for Hi/Low with no qualifier which is totally different then Stud8 and Omaha8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. SS2 has a Stud-8 chapter by Todd Brunson that is pretty good, but Ray Zee's book is tops.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Alright! Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I think I've made up my mind...Going to have to go get it!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:31 PM

Rays book is good, but it is a "high-concept" book. Aside from starting hands, newer players may have a hard time with it the first few reads.

You won't get the same hand-by-hand analysis as you would in HoH or SSH. It does not go deeply into odds, and it assumes you alredy read 7CSFAP.

Todd's chapter in SS2 was really good. I still go back to Zee's book, but I feel a lot of it is still over my head. Phil's chapter if Play Poker Like the Pro's is ok, but it is pretty vague.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:58 PM

Well, I think you've all convinced me...I just ordered it online. Should be getting it in about five days. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Oh, started playing a little bit at Absolute Poker, the .10-.25 with a .01 ante. Came out with $6 after starting with $2.75. Not bad, but obviuosly there's still a lot of studying to be done! Can't wait to get the Book! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 PM

not sure it will help you too much at that limit. the book gives 5 pages to 5th street play, 1 page to 6th street play, and a few to 7th.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 PM

Not exactly going to stay at this level. Merely using the lower limits to learn the game without risking too much money. Once I feel comfortable that I have the ability to play at some Higher limits, I will move up. But, until then I will use the smaller limits as a platform on which to build from.

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate it!