Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Change your play vs TAGs

I am curious how many of you play differently vs TAGs making certain assumptions about how they play. Or do you just keep playing straight up?

EXAMPLE: TAG in MP2 raises, you reraise on the button with AQs. Flop comes low cards and the TAG bets anyways. You suspect he has AKo and you have seen him generally bet bet check these situations, would you call then raise the turn? Or some play similar.

Or TAG raises on the CO and you got AA in the BB. Would you cold call, instead of raising, here knowing that if he misses the flop he's folding to a bet because of your 3 bet PF?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Change your play vs TAGs

Example 1: I don't think a good TAG would lead into you with AK high, unless maybe he viewed you as weak tight.

Example 2: If he's in a blind steal situation just play it fast, I usually play it fast even if he raised UTG but I could be wrong.

Yes you do need to mix it up some and take different lines against thinking TAGs.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM

In your first example I'll make that play only sometimes since the TAG villain is likely to catch on to you if you keep doing it. The exception is when you're floating a weaker TAG who'll often fold with AK high. Against a smarter TAG you have to vary your play.

In the second example I'm 3-betting AA a lot because I'm going to be 3-betting many hands in this situation if TAG CO is open raising.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 AM

Example 1. Routinely raising the turn with A-high against a PF raiser who bets into you on both the flop and turn (after you 3-bet PF) is going to be mighty expensive. Putting your opponent on a specific hand (AK) isn't generally a good idea, especially when his betting pattern doesn't support it.

Example 2: Seldom am I CC'ing here. I 3-bet steal raises with a wide variety of hands, and I 3-bet with my legitimate hands so that when I reraise with 44 or A6o, I still get some respect. I.e. I'd rather have him continue to fold the entire pot to my flop bet in the relatively common case when he misses than to collect an extra bet or two in the relatively rare case when I get a big hand HU in the BB.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM

So I guess its like the statement for preflop I like to use so often...

"Don't limp with big hands preflop and be tricky, raise with more hands in position and be aggressive."