Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Deep stacks tourney hand - bottom set against flop aggression

Absolute first hand of the tournament

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t5000)
SB (t5000)
BB (t5000)
UTG (t5000)
UTG+1 (t5000)
Hero (t5000)
MP2 (t5000)
CO (t5000)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, Hero calls t20, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t260</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...</font>
Old 09-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Deep stacks tourney hand - bottom set against flop aggression

i'd make it 1200, call a push, and if he just calls.. bet 2200 on a non diamond turn.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:24 PM

shove [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

make it 1k
Old 09-17-2005, 06:25 PM

I just call here. Reasoning: SB still has a chance to hang himself, doesn't look like he wants someone drawing at a flush, other guy smells like a AJ or the draw, but not necessarily nut draw. Your call here can induce him into a big move on the turn if a diamond doesn't come off as well. I like calling here, but raising is fine as well.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 PM

i raise to 800
Old 09-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Why raise to 1200, you WANT action with your set and you are encouraging the weaker ace to play right and fold. This is an excellent spot to make chips, its early in a deep-stack tournament structure, and 83% of the time the diamond won't be coming off on the turn where you can drop the hammer if need be, IF the SB doesn't hang himself on his ace on the flop. I can see a somewhat smaller raise such as 600-700, but 1200 seems kinda rediculous
Old 09-17-2005, 06:46 PM

I like to miniraise in this spot. You are acting as if you are weak and you are reopening the action for the initial raiser.

Why would you want to push? Pushing minimizes the likelyhood of someone calling.

Bruce
Old 09-17-2005, 06:47 PM

you raise that much beccause your hand is vulnerable, and yea the diamond isn't going to come alot, but hands will pay you off now,but wouldn't pay you off on the turn. And theres been a raise and a reraise infront of you, i'm expeecting a caller there.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:51 PM

What makes this hand weird is the vulnerability of it, but at the same time the strength of it.

I really had no idea what to do, so I put in a stiff raise and took it down. I decided not to get tricky and build a pot.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:55 PM

There was a bet, and a raise, a huge reraise from you will indicate a whole lot of strength but also fear of the draw, but you are very likely to scare off someone that would have paid you off nicely. 1200 is just a bad overbet in this spot, you want to encourage mistakes and not encourage him to play right and fold, a raise of 600-700 accomplishes that. I take the risk and just call in this spot of a tournament, due to the SB showing interest and hopefully being able to hang himself and then possibly tie the noose around BB to come with him, but like I said, I also like a smaller raise of 600-700.

Also, part of me liking a call here is because this is a deep stacked tournament, you can afford to get away from the hand if things get bad as you have a tremendous M right now, but your potential gain in this situation heavily outweighs potential loss in this spot as long as you are capable of knowing when to get away from this hand.