Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Bluff Raise on the River

I can't recall ever bluff raising the river before. I backed into a situation on this hand where the circumstances seemed right for it and it was my only hope of winning the hand.

Party 1/2 (9 max, 8 handed) My first orbit and BB's first hand at the table. The table seemed fairly tight.

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a decent but not great hand. Maybe a raise would have been better; but with the poster and blinds being unknowns, I decided to just call.

Opps - my weak unsuited Broadways got raised.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks,

No one seems to have a King. I figure BB probably has AQ, AJ etc or a pocket pair smaller than KK, so being last to act with only two opponents I decide to represent a King and...

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

BB is not buying that I have a King. He knows I might bet with anything on the Button after everyone else has checked. Maybe he has a big pocket pair and plans to call it down, maybe he wants to see if he can hit an Ace on the turn, and he might have an Ace he figures still has good chances of being ahead.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks,

If I don't bet now, my charade of having a King will be exposed and I might as well forget about winning this pot. I didn't feel the 3rd spade was a major issue at this point as only three people saw the flop so the chances of someone making a flush seemed pretty small. However, I still doubted that I had a better hand than BB, and MP1 is still hanging around too, so...

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>. BB calls, MP1 folds.

At least MP1 gave up, but BB is still not buying it. He probably knows the chances I have a King just went down when another one showed up on the board. I now think it's most likely he has a pocket pair although Ax is still possible. Either way he still has the best hand, and he may realize the likelihood of that too.

River: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>,

BB now figures if I've been donk betting up until now, I might check this through so he bets for value. He also planned to call a bet, so he figured he might as well lead on the small chance he could knock me off a hand he might not beat like if I had a King but he represented a flush or maybe he hoped I would fold something like TT in case if he had 99.

I figured calling here would be a complete waste of a bet. I had no chance of winning this pot at showdown. Although I didn't start out on the flop intending to invest 3.5BB on a bluff, the situation that developed was so favorable for it that my chances of it working were seemed too good to pass up. I also didn't think BB would think I had the cohones to raise on air, so...

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, and...

BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 09-17-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Bluff Raise on the River

Nice bluff.
Not EV+ though.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 PM

You definitely need to raise preflop.

The river bluff without read is probably spewing. You're going to get called by a lot of hands that beat you (meaning that villain is going to bet-call far more often than he bet-folds). I would prefer to wait until I've seen villain bet-fold the river before trying something like this.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely need to raise preflop.

The river bluff without read is probably spewing. You're going to get called by a lot of hands that beat you (meaning that villain is going to bet-call far more often than he bet-folds). I would prefer to wait until I've seen villain bet-fold the river before trying something like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of this. If you're playing this hand, you need to raise pre-flop. FWIW, I fold here versus unknowns. I'd like tight blinds so I can get it HU with the poster.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:04 AM

Raise preflop. Check the flop. Check the turn. Fold the river.