Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM

Default what\'s my move with short stack & underpair vs sensed weakness?

Sorry, I can't get the converter to work, so I'm doing this manually. Here's the hand:

Ultimate Bet $33 NLHE

Hero: 1555
SB: 5425
BB: 6445
other stacks: between 3600 and 11,000 (chip leader)
blinds at 100/200

Hero is UTG with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and M of 5.
Hero calls, folded around to SB who completes and BB who checks it.

Flop (pot = 600) = 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets 600, BB folds, Hero, (with 1355 behind facing a pot of 1200)?

My reads: The SB just got to the table a couple of hands ago, so I don't really have a read on him. The BB seems to be a very solid and patient player. I have been pushing my chips around and just took a BB vs a short stack when I PFRed (3.5 x BB) from MP with 7s and he called with K/5s for all his chips and hit a K. But the SB probably doesn't know much about me.

I know many of you will say I should have pushed PF, but I really don't like pushing into a full table with 6s. I figured that if the SB had a 10, he would have checked and tried to trap me, and I didn't see a 9 making a pot-sized bet here. I thought I might be up against overcards and a flush draw.

Does anyone fold this here?

ts-
Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: what\'s my move with short stack & underpair vs sensed weakness?

well you guess right... i DO say push pf. and if you're that against pushing.. fold, can't play this hand that way with that few chips.

And i think SB probably has you beat here, so i gues.. fold? idont know.. he very well could be betting with two overs, or two clubs, so a push could be justified. but you have no FE and vs any of his possible holdings you're not in fantastic shape anyway. (50/50 vs two overs, underdog vs two club overs)
Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know many of you will say I should have pushed PF, but I really don't like pushing into a full table with 6s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate a fold there UTG. A push is probably fine, too. What I don't like is limping with the intention of folding on that flop.

SB could have a 9 there. Even if he's 'just' on a draw, he will usually still be the favorite (with an OESD or a flush draw w/ overs plus counterfeit outs).

I grit my teeth and fold, but you should have pushed or folded preflop w/ that stack.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 PM

okay, i'm sure some will call it weak-tight, but i now think that i should have folded this PF. as you and exit only said, limping in with a small PP and a short stack is asking for tough decision on the flop unless i hit my set.

i think the PF limp is a much bigger issue than what to do on the flop, but once I'm facing a bet on the flop, i think i should fold here. he's a new player, and if i trust my read and don't give him credit for a 10 or 9, but put him on overs (but not club overs), i'm break even at best at the flop. i didn't realize this at the time, and thought i still had the best of it if he was playing K/Jo or something like that. bottom line is the only thing i'm a big favorite over here is a smaller PP.

thanks for the wake up call,

ts-
Old 09-17-2005, 06:10 AM

nobody "likes" to push 66 all in into a full table, we just do it because with an M of 5 we're looking for any reasonable gamble and a pair is plenty enough.
push sooner, push sooner, push sooner. it's not like every hand that beats you or has a race with you is going to call behind.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM

I wish they were 8's... 8's are so much prettier..