Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Pocket 7\'s overpair hand

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (11 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

I know the preflop raise is questionable. How bad is it? Nothing out of the ordinary read wise on any of these players. I'm mainly wondering if there is any conceivable way I could protect my hand on a flop like this, with absolutely no idea what my opponents hold. I bet out because I felt like a check raise was too risky and probably wouldn't fold anyone out anyway.

I'm also curious about the river. Does anyone think this is a value bet?

Thank you
Old 12-07-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Pocket 7\'s overpair hand

you might get better answers in the short handed forum. I really think this raise is read dependent. Still a marginal raise at best. I'd rather call this thing.

River, raise it. So far, no resistance, if you get re-raised, time to fold. This is also true for the turn.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Preflop is iffy -- I like to know that people will fold after me if I'm going to do this.

Assuming these are the type of people who will call down with crap (probably a safe assumption at .1/.2) you need to bet that river for value.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:30 PM

Preflop - limp (as a default play I'll raise 9's and higher on loose tables, 10's and higher on tight ones UTG)
Flop - I like the continuation bet here (see this weeks micro digest)
Turn - With opponents showing no strength so far I agree with your bet here - what would you have done against a raise? Without reads on these tables I usually call down from here if rasied (or bet into on the river) but I like this play less and less and sometimes I feel like I'm looking for a reason to fold to aggression in spots like this [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
River - I don't think its for value with flush draw, possible trip 3's and overcard on board and two opponents. check (and again probably call if bet into).
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM

Preflop is...eh. 99 is my limit in full rings since it'll flop quads, but 7-handed I dunno. Do you folks raise 77 UTG in 6-max?

Only other interesting part is the river. C'mon, you think someone stuck around with a T? Bet that, yo.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM

*grunch*

Limp preflop.

I agree with the flop and turn. These seem like good spots for a value bet.

I'd bet the river, too. Most likely the best you are up against is some unimproved overs or a 6, not a T.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 PM

7 handed DO NOT OPEN LIMP. raise or fold people. preflop is fine- i fold sometimes, sometimes i raise. everything else looks goot IMO.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 PM

grunch

UTG raise of 77 is a bit frisky, but I hate limping UTG. Hate it. And I'm not folding 77, so I can see a raise. With a raise from there, we are much less likely to see raise-re-raise behind us and face 2 bets. Limping from there you will face 2 occasionally.

EDITid not see it was 7-handed. RAISE. No question at all.

I bet the river also. You would have hoped to hear from the 3 or the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] by now. I suppose you could fold to a raise. I wouldn't be able to, so maybe check/call is the better line. A good player would bet/fold.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
7 handed DO NOT OPEN LIMP. raise or fold people. preflop is fine- i fold sometimes, sometimes i raise. everything else looks goot IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-limping UTG here isn't bad if the table is loose. It's right on the cusp and I just don't think it matters that much. I'd open-limp acting 3rd in a 10-handed game with 77 with loose players behind me. Move a seat over, and then I think the scale just tips into "raise or fold" land.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah, I'm tired of these "Look at me I'm tight/aggressive so raise or fold" posts.
I mean c'mon - limping is better than folding.