Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Christian Children\'s Fund

Just saw a commercial for the Christian Children's Fund. How much of my $0.80 a day goes to trying to get the third-world starving kid to accept Jesus as his savior?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Christian Children\'s Fund

Yes, much better that the child die from starvation than be exposed to religion.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 AM

There are resources for finding this information. And low and behold, the politics forum of two plus two is not the best source.

www.charitynavigator.org
www.guidestar.com

I am not suggesting you donate to them and I would NEVER suggest that the promotion Christianity is a good idea, but this organization is pretty far from evil brain washing. They are well known for actually helping children.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are well known for actually helping children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second. You mean to tell me that a Christian organization actually helps kids? Who wouldve thunk it?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Well, if it had turned out that they were not, I for one would not have been surprised.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if it had turned out that they were not, I for one would not have been surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case you are highlighting your own ignorance. The vast majority of faith based organizations place helping people first with evangelization being a secondary concern. Of course people like to concentrate on the negatives and the ugly stories sell, so thats all people hear about. Christian charities do a heck of a lot all over the world to help people out.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Its worth pointing out the Mormon church beat both FEMA and the Red Cross down to the Gulf Coast to deliver aid after Hurricane Katrina and they have also have an excellent social welfare system within thier own church for those who are not making ends meet (I am not Mormon).
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of faith based organizations place helping people first with evangelization being a secondary concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true of the muslim faith based organizations? Or is your trust in these limited to christian organizations?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of faith based organizations place helping people first with evangelization being a secondary concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true of the muslim faith based organizations? Or is your trust in these limited to christian organizations?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I dont know. I probably shouldve been more exact in my post. I am only familiar with the Christian charities.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, I dont know. I probably shouldve been more exact in my post. I am only familiar with the Christian charities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Setting aside local church based charities (which I would agree in general with your statement) are you familiar with international charities (like CCF) to comment on: the percentage of the donated dollar that goes DIRECTLY to the intended recipient's benefit? Not quite on point, but I am interested in learning from your familarity with christian faith based organizations.

I recall an amusing anecdote from a pakistani person who said that Gordon College in Lahore (a christian organization) offered free tuition to a number of people every year if they converted to christianity. The rate at which people converted back after graduation was astounding.