Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Republicans have cut all fat from budget

This article made me laugh. Delay claims that he and the rest of the Republican monkeys have trimmed all the fat from the budget:

fat all gone

[ QUOTE ]
"My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with any yet," the Texas Republican told reporters at his weekly briefing.
Asked if that meant the government was running at peak efficiency, Mr. DeLay said, "Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down pretty good."

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we have the facts:

[ QUOTE ]
Excluding military and homeland security, American taxpayers have witnessed the largest spending increase under any preceding president and Congress since the Great Depression.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this article, the only reason I can think to vote Republican is if you are some kind of religious nut. That party has nothing else to offer.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 PM

Default They\'ve all resigned??!!

[ QUOTE ]
This article made me laugh. Delay claims that he and the rest of the Republican monkeys have trimmed all the fat from the budget:

fat all gone

[ QUOTE ]
"My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with any yet," the Texas Republican told reporters at his weekly briefing.
Asked if that meant the government was running at peak efficiency, Mr. DeLay said, "Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down pretty good."

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we have the facts:

[ QUOTE ]
Excluding military and homeland security, American taxpayers have witnessed the largest spending increase under any preceding president and Congress since the Great Depression.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this article, the only reason I can think to vote Republican is if you are some kind of religious nut. That party has nothing else to offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Republicans have cut all fat from budget

where's ross perot when u need him?!?!?

-oh well, nader's just as good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 PM

And here I thought Republicans were against recreational drugs...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 PM

This thread doesn't support the troops, traitor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This article made me laugh. Delay claims that he and the rest of the Republican monkeys have trimmed all the fat from the budget

[/ QUOTE ]

So since you think this is so funny, you must have a long list of things you'd like to cut. Would you mind sharing with us?

From your previous posts I figured you were in favor of increasing government spending, so I am pleasantly encouraged that yet another person is ready to drasticly reduce government largess.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So since you think this is so funny, you must have a long list of things you'd like to cut. Would you mind sharing with us?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny not because there are things easily cut from the federal budget, but because Delay claims the Republicans (a party highly critical of government spending when Democrats were in power) is now running at PEAK efficiency, after HUGE increases in spending. So it's funny, regardless of whether or not the OP has a laundry list of federal programs he would cut/reduce in scope.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This article made me laugh. Delay claims that he and the rest of the Republican monkeys have trimmed all the fat from the budget

[/ QUOTE ]

From your previous posts I figured you were in favor of increasing government spending, so I am pleasantly encouraged that yet another person is ready to drasticly reduce government largess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd cut the tax cuts. and the military.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd cut the tax cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tax cuts aren't "expenses" - only someone who views all money as the government's (and hence anything that isn't taxed as a "gift" to the taxpayer) would see it that way.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would repeal the prescription-drug bill and would cut all pork-barrel projects. If a state is receiving an inordinate amount of funding in some area because they have a Congressperson who is head of a committee or something, then I would look to cut that funding.

On the revenue side I would take a close look at corporate welfare and would institute means-testing for Social Security and Medicare.

I think the most preferrable government given the system we have is one party in control of Congress and one party in control of the White House. Maybe if a Democrat wins the White House next term, the Republicans in Congress will rediscover their fiscal discipline if for no other reason than good, old-fashioned partisan politics.

What I thought was funny about Delay's quote was how he was claiming to be so fiscally-disciplined while spending more money than had ever been spent before.

BTW, I think I recall that you favor no government whatsoever. Do you know Ted Kaczynski?