Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Whats the move here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t640)
UTG (t175)
Button (t4980)
SB (t2205)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t600</font>, Hero?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Whats the move here?

Fold. SB is raising with any 2, buy it's too risky with the shortstack basically all in on the next hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t640)
UTG (t175)
Button (t4980)
SB (t2205)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t600</font>, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. You have no FE re-raising with your last 40 chips. Plus, SB can have you dominated here with AK, AA, KK, or QQ. Too risky. Plus, 3BBs is plenty to still play with.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 PM

I don't care how short he is. Unless I'm down to my last buy-in, facing the end of my poker career - I push. There is no guarantee shortie will bust. In fact, if you fold here and he doubles through next hand, you're essentially even with you eating the next blinds first.

Happily push, knowing you are likely a huge favorite. By asserting yourself here, you stand a great chance to finish higher than a "maybe 3rd".
Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care how short he is. Unless I'm down to my last buy-in, facing the end of my poker career - I push. There is no guarantee shortie will bust. In fact, if you fold here and he doubles through next hand, you're essentially even with you eating the next blinds first.

Happily push, knowing you are likely a huge favorite. By asserting yourself here, you stand a great chance to finish higher than a "maybe 3rd".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, have to disagree.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, have to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...maybe a minority opinion, but in my experience "folding intoTM" often does not have the desired results. I'm as prudent as the next guy. Give me 300 more chips and I'd fold. As short as hero is here, folding is a gamble also -- the worst form of gambling, where you choose to not effect it's outcome. Shortie's random holdings in the BB are just as likely to hold up next hand when someone pushes through YOUR SB. When that happens, you are actually 10chips shorter at t415. You will be forced to push/call one of the next few hands - not so fun when you could be facing a 3/4-way. Considering SB can/should raise here with ANY TWO...I'd have no problem sleeping after he sucks out w/86o or something.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Assuming he has 2 unpaired undercards, you are still around 40% to lose. I'll take my chances with the shortstack going out the next hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM

this is a push and it's not close. limping into third can't be +ev over the long haul. Play for first. You are getting your money in a situation where you are way ahead.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 PM

definitely push. You will be way ahead quite often. I would give the SB credit for at least A-small, which puts you way ahead.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Don't overrate AQ. Play for first AFTER you have secured a money spot. This is basic bubble play.