Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:57 PM

Default UTG

In my game, a UTG or UTG+1 raise will take down the pot uncontested about 60-70% of the time.

In order to get more $ out of AA, KK, etc - i can see 2 common solutions: limp-reraising your big pairs or raising UTG with a wider range of hands. I'd like to know your preferred method of playing UTG and does it change with different games.

Assume standard 100x BB internet stacks in a 2-4NL or higher game.

Here's my inital sketch:

1) Limp reraise big pairs

Pros:
- Very good at loose aggressive tables where you might get a raise and a call before you repop and take down a medium size pot without having to see a flop.

- Allows you to limpreraise hands on bluffs with 77 for instance against the right opponents who have seen you play AA this way

- Adds protection when you open-limp wtih 55 (as in Super/System)

Cons: ?

2) Raise UTG with a wider range of hands (occasionally suited connectors etc)

Pros: Adds deception to your hand + can steal blinds from UTG
Cons: Play raised pots out of position
Old 09-12-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: UTG

Don't start to limp-reraise with AA, KK. Instead, start raising any suited connector, any pair, any broadway cards, and a few other hands UTG. After a little while, no one will be able to put you on AA, KK when you raise UTG.

BTW: Try not to open limp, especially at 6-max.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Sorry, talking specifically about full-ring 9 person games

9-max UTG is much different than 6-max UTG of course, and, i agree, open-limping 6-max isn't usually good.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my game, a UTG or UTG+1 raise will take down the pot uncontested about 60-70% of the time.

Pros:
- Very good at loose aggressive tables where you might get a raise and a call before you repop and take down a medium size pot without having to see a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pro doesn't sound like it applies to your game?

Option 2 is the best imo. You will force people to start playing back at you. Sure if the flop comes AT2r and you have 76s from EP you're probably going to lose a little bit after your flop continuation bet if there's any resistance, but overall people won't be able to put you on a hand so when your 76 does hit, chances are better you'll get paid off. Not to mention when you actually do have AA.