Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 PM

Default 76 (offsuit!) in a loose game

11-handed live game at Western Fair.

UTG is tight and quiet.

UTG+1 is built like a tank. He hasn't yet played a full round, but I noticed that he's friends with a solid player that I know. This may mean something; it may mean nothing.

UTG+2 is a Johnny Chan lookalike and is very loose. Bluffs a lot, draws a lot.

MP1 is also new, so no read.

MP2 is a solid, aggressive player postflop, but will limp with any suited connectors.

MP3 smells really bad, and is very loose/passive.

SB is a large, jovial man who is really loose, and mostly passive, but appears to be having a great time (read: doesn't mind losing money).

BB is a huge table coach, very talkative, very annoying, and is often chatting up SB. I noticed that he keeps a record of his winnings in a notebook that he proudly (and erroneously) displayed to the entire table a few hours ago. Although I hate him, he plays fairly well, though he will make many loose calls and is a big actor.

EDIT: more reads:
CO is Borno (2+2er) and Button is weak-tight.

Preflop:
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB checks (what a game)

Flop: (9 SB) K-5-3 rainbow (9 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds (what a game)

Turn: (8 BB) 6 (7 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls

River: (12 BB) K (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 folds, Hero...?

Comments for all streets welcome!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 76 (offsuit!) in a loose game

I like every street except for preflop, where I would fold 76o. Yes, it's a great game, but 76o is a junk hand.

On the river, I would go for overcalls. If you raise, only a better hand will reraise, and the players you want in might fold for 2-cold.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:58 PM

I added in my reads for the CO and Button. Does the fact that I'm getting at least 8:1 on my call (SB is guaranteed to call here) and will likely have last position on all future rounds make my preflop call alright?

Bodhi, I'm assuming you think there's a reasonable chance my second pair is good on the river?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM

I misread your hand and thought you rivered your one card straight (it's difficult to read non-converted hand posts). Looking at it now, you don't want over-calls so this is a raise or fold decision.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM

The thing that got to me about this hand that didn't make it an autofold is that a different player bet each street. If UTG has a K with a bad kicker, he may have bet the flop and avoided betting the turn for fear of kicker troubles (weak-tight characteristics), and would definately be calling or this river. Judging by the turn action, I suspected that UTG+1 was representing the K on the river. I still wasn't sure what reasonable holding he could have had that made it worth it for him to see the river without having me beat. Between the bettor and two players still to act, I thought there was no way I'd be good.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:33 PM

What's your basis for folding 76o here?