Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 AM

Default I ain\'t askeered

I haven't posted a hand in a while because nothing I've played has been at all interesting but this one's been on my mind since yesterday so I thought I'd see what people had to say.

Party 1/2 6-max. Effective stacks are $160 and villain in SB is mostly unknown. I've only been at the table about an orbit and a half and I've never seen him before. He's won a small pot or two and hasn't done anything to mark himself as either very good or very bad.

I open for $8 UTG+1 w/TT, only villain calls

Flop is 532 with two hearts

Villain checks, I bet $15, villain calls quickly

Turn J (no heart)

Villain checks, I bet $30, villain calls quickly

River is the 8 of hearts

Villain instantly pushes. Something smells funny; I call.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: I ain\'t askeered

Looks good to me.

Unless your opponent is extra tricky, a bet that makes it look like he wants you to fold probably means exactly that.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me.

Unless your opponent is extra tricky, a bet that makes it look like he wants you to fold probably means exactly that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Im not so sure. Against an unknown, Im liable to give him credit. My experience so far is that a big river bet means a big hand most of the time. Unless I have a read that says otherwise, I'll probably give him credit. As always, I could be persuaded otherwise in this case.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:47 AM

Against an unknown I usually fold here.

You beat a busted straight, and 99/77/66/44 (44 doubles as a busted straight).

I dont like it. I liked it fine until the river.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM

Put yourself in Villain's shoes. Let's say you just made a flush. Why push all in and actually give Hero to get away from it?

A value bet would seem more likely. I am willing to wager that he's got a busted draw.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hand is SOP until the river. I don't normally call here either against an unknown but I've also never seen anybody make their hand and instantly push all their chips in on the river for a PSB. I've seen the short-pause-push, the long-pause-push, the both short and long pause followed by a checkraise attempt and the value bet with various speeds but never the instapush.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 AM

since he hasn't done anything to mark himself as very good or very bad as you say in your post, I fold this river.

Really all you beat is a bluff. You can't even beat a jack here. I can't see him calling those pot sized bets on a straight draw, but I can see him doing it on a flush draw.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 PM

I understand what you are saying, like he decided to get it all in regardless of the river card, which means a)a bluff or b)a strong made hand that he is trying make look like a bluff. Even though I said fold, I have called in very similar situations and it was a busted draw enough times to be profitable. Take that FWIW.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hand is SOP until the river. I don't normally call here either against an unknown but I've also never seen anybody make their hand and instantly push all their chips in on the river for a PSB. I've seen the short-pause-push, the long-pause-push, the both short and long pause followed by a checkraise attempt and the value bet with various speeds but never the instapush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you end up with the money then [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Even so - villain calls an EP raise from the SB. He calls it when nobody else has called it. We dont have him labeled as a muppet.
Villain then check-calls the flop, which often indicates a draw. I guess we would normally see some action either on the flop or on the turn from small PPs that are bigger than 5. When he check/calls the turn, then once again his most likely hand is a draw, as surely we would see action from a set/made straight here.
Finally, the most obvious draw hits and he pushes his money in.

The only saving grace about your call is that it would be pretty common for A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to try go get a whole lot in on the flop, and same is true for A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] of almost any size.

However, I've called a few of these pushes in my time, and I see a big hand far more often than I see a busted straight draw/bag of nothing.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was me, I'd have the flush 80% of the time at least. I've seen it done without it though.