Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Jack Eight Makes a Straight

Everyone has at least $100 stacks in this hand. I make a straight on the turn, but a flush also arrives. What's my line and why?

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table, 10-handed.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
4 limps and 4 folds to SB who completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($5.75) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (6 players)</font>
6 checks.

Turn: ($5.75) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???
Old 09-11-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Jack Eight Makes a Straight

bets $5.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 AM

I'd bet out $5 and hope to God everyone goes away. With three diamonds on board, I don't think you can check. Anyone raises, I think you have to fold. Not only could you be behind a flush, but you don't even have the best sraight. With that many people seeing the flop, K-J seems possible here. I would then c/c the river depending on the player(s) left in the hand and the river card.

But on the turn, I would bet near the pot and fold to a raise. You have to apply pressure on people with stupid draws and get money out of anyone who might call with the A-high flush draw.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 AM

Pot it, and reconsider if raised. Most people will only raise here if they don't have the flush, but some will.

River is gonna suck. Check/fold diamonds more often than not, and probably 2/3 of the pot on a safe river.