Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Heads-up theory question

What do you think the EV of either seat is when BB has the Button like on party ? (5/10 blinds)

If you dont want to guess at this, but someone offered to play 10/20 heads up with you where the button doesnīt move, meaning you are either SB or BB(Button) for the entire session, which seat would you pick?

Basicly the question is whether the lower investment makes up for beeing out of position ?

If you dont think itīs close, then what blind structure would change your seat selection ?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Heads-up theory question

I have no idea as to anything that resembles a real statistic, but I know that I would definitely choose to be on the button every hand.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea as to anything that resembles a real statistic, but I know that I would definitely choose to be on the button every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM

I think in heads up play the bigger "investment" isn't much of an issue. SB needs to equal that investment if he wants to see a flop. Otherwise you get yours back plus his. The SB usually has to risk a bigger investment (since he'll rarely limp) to try to get yours. I think The advantage is obvious.

If SB became significantly lower than BB, maybe as low as 1/4th, but probably two or three times lower, I'd be willing to listen to arguments for taking the SB.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM

This question doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it? You'd always want the button because you're last to act. The small blind doesn't have a smaller investment than the big blind because the small blind needs to at least complete the big blind to play.

As far as EV's, it would depend on your skill level relative to your opponents. I've logged about 11K hands (a small sample) playing heads up with this structure. I average .08BB/Hand from the button and .00BB/Hand from the small blind.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Basically, if you're playing against a complete dunce, with a SB/BB ratio of 1/10th or something, you might profit more by folding off junk and playing stronger hands. You lose little by folding off your blind and win more with stronger, non-marginal hands. But this would never happen.