Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Too tight, or am I getting the hang of it?

The table had been a little more aggressive than usual, but it was a loose as it always is. No important reads on any of the players.

$2-$2 LO8

Preflop Dealt to hero A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Utg calls, utg+1 calls, 1 fold, mp 1 calls, mp 2 calls, co+1 fold, hero calls, button folds, bb checks

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, utg raises, utg+1 calls, mp 1 raises, mp 2 calls, hero folds.

Am I playing to tight? I heve been making all of my money in this game by nut-peddling and I didn't want to get into a habbit of playing something that wasn't the nuts.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Too tight, or am I getting the hang of it?

[ QUOTE ]
The table had been a little more aggressive than usual, but it was a loose as it always is. No important reads on any of the players.

$2-$2 LO8

Preflop Dealt to hero A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Utg calls, utg+1 calls, 1 fold, mp 1 calls, mp 2 calls, co+1 fold, hero calls, button folds, bb checks

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, utg raises, utg+1 calls, mp 1 raises, mp 2 calls, hero folds.

Am I playing to tight? I heve been making all of my money in this game by nut-peddling and I didn't want to get into a habbit of playing something that wasn't the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be a tricky spot to be in, but with all this action in front of you here it's a pretty easy fold. You have absolutely no high draw so you're playing for half the pot. And it looks like the only way you're going to get that is if a 2 comes. I wouldn't even feel great if I had AKQ2 with the high likelihood of getting quartered or worse in this particular case.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Trigeek - In my humble opinion, you have to fold this hand in lieu of the betting on round #2. You can't tell if somebody is putting a move on you or not, but all you have after the flop is the 2nd nut low with no reasonable chance for high.

Even if you had the <font color="red">nut</font> low here (a deuce in place of the trey) you should seriously consider folding. Holding the nut low with counterfeit protection (ace-deuce-trey-king), I'd reluctantly stick around.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to tell from the info given if you're playing too tightly or not. If you know the game well but never play a non-nut hand after the flop, then I think you're missing some good bets.

But in this particular case, you have a very clear fold.

You don't mention the small blind in your post. If there's no small blind, then it looks as though you're playing in a nine-handed game.

When you hold A3QK in a nine handed game, and when you end up on the river with the 2nd nut low, you figure to encounter an opponent with an ace and a deuce roughly half the time (about 49%).

In some games you can sometimes get a reasonably good idea whether or not you are up against the nut low - but in very aggressive games like this one seems to be, it's more difficult to know. Here it's possible UTG or MP1 (or both) are raising with ace-four lows, or something like that - or it's possible they have nothing - or it's possible they both have ace-deuce, or one of them has ace-trey (same as you). Lots of possibilities and you can't tell where you stand.

You should be able to easily visualize several hands you'd rather hold after this flop than A3QKs. (A288, A256, A234). Probably nobody else has one of these hands you'd rather have either, but you can't very well tell. And you don't have one yourself.

Folding the flopped second nut low with no reasonable chance for high is correct here.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 PM

easy fold. even if (which is a BIG if) your low is good, you have no protection for it nor a shot at high. very easy fold
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 PM

I would fold this, and very possibly fold an A2 with no re-draws, or no draws for high as well.

Right now you have the second nut-low, no re-draws, virtually no chance for high, and a lot of action in front of you. Easy fold.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM

Buzz,

I did not mention a small blind in the hand because this game is played with a single big blind of $2.

Geek