Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Flood of hands

I'm getting very self frustrated because over the last 37k hands i'm even not because of variance, because of my play. My focus and attention with the game has gone now, another way in which i am psychological weak. Barry Greenstein is def. right, at least in my case, when he writes the new army of young players learn the game well very quickly but we lack psychologically because of that.

So i've been 10+ tabling, to keep my attention up, which means i'm not learning or watching along the way and so my earnings curve has followed my learning curve. So it's time to cut down on tables, force my attention and post a ton of hands. I never know which to post, so i'm going to post a lot, if they are very boring just skip over them, just a quick, yea, that's fine would be great, thanks as always 2+2.

Opponent in this hand has been playing pretty well. Seems like the average TAG in this game.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

At the table i thought keeping the player behind in with most prob overcards or letting him raise a possible A9 A8 or diamonds, overweight getting a head start on going bets against SB if he has an overpair, i'm not too sure about this now.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Alright here, given our past history of me being very aggro preflop i think i can safetly save he would have 3 bet me preflop with 88 77 66. So it seems like he def has A7 or also possible overcards like KTs for the flush draw, 9ts 78s would be strange but somewhat possible it seems.

River: (15.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

I think i effed this up. I should checkcall here since any worse hand will value bet if i check and just call if i bet and better hands, namely, A7 will raise.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Flood of hands

I like raising the flop since Button will often call 2 with something weak and you are likely to get extra action from either player on such a drawy flop.

I like your idea of check/calling the river.

Edit: got confused by the preflop action. River c/c is just straight good.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Seems like there is vert little chance he didn't 3 bet me preflop with 99 - kk. i agree with your flop thoughts though.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:25 PM

i raise the flop here everytime. this is a scary board, so take the initiatve before something bad happens. if they have the hands, youre hoping they have, youll get action.
as played, id just call the turn threebet, then bet/call the river.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Default 1800, a nickel\'s worth of free advice.

I'm kinda the opposite of the new age player you mentioned. While I don't catch on quick, and learning this game has taken me 10 years of study and practice, I do believe I am solid from a psychological point of view.

Take, for instance, my recent trip to California. was supposed to be 5 days of 40-80 and 1-2 at the Commerce. My focus was not there, I knew I was not playing well. I felt amatuerish. I quit on the morning of the second full day, changed my flight schedule, and flew back to New York. I dropped 8k or so. I admitted my failure on 2+2, knowing I would take some heat, to force myself to address the problem and deal with it.

After I saw some family, helped some clients, and felt better, I got back in the PP 50 game. Picked up 8k in 2 days, and another 7k on top of that the next two days.

I think, especially in higher limits, you have to have control of your mind, and understand yourself. You have to be honest with yourself. You have to accept that you have weaknessess, that you are only human, and will never play 100% perfect.

You must have the discipline to walk away when you are not playing your best. You have to make sure you do not alienate your friends and family so that you have something to fall back on when you are not playing well, so you can regroup and recharge.

Just some random thoughts,

TSP
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id just call the turn threebet, then bet/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why this line instead of cap-bet?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id just call the turn threebet, then bet/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why this line instead of cap-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]you save a bet when hes full and you disallow a free showdown. part of the reason id bet the river is because an A came and hell check alot of losers that hell call with... cap/lead/call is too much action IMO.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:41 AM

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ? check-call the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 AM

the pot is big enough that i think you should raise the flop, a little smaller and you can wait for the turn. sinc eit's big it will be 13:2 to the button even if you raise. a lot of action ruining cards. if button had a set he would absolutely raise this flop last to act.