Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Default thin call on flop leads to good draw on turn

Playing 5-10 5-handed. I have the table covered and am on the button w/ QsTs.

UTG ($600) opens for $30, CO ($1000) calls, I call, blinds fold.

Flop ($105) 8c9s3c UTG leads for $70, CO calls, I call.

Turn ($315) 6s UTG checks, CO bets pot $300. Hero...

Reads: CO is very aggressive but this pot bet on the turn usually means strength especially multi-way. UTG is probably done with the hand, but doesn't have to be.

If I do call, what's the plan for the river if my straight hits, flush hits, or a blank hits? Is there a bluffing opportunity if a club hits?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: thin call on flop leads to good draw on turn

Fold.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? fold was my 3rd option, but i could be very wrong.

*if I was going to fold it would be the flop.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM

CO raises draws or sets on flop? Pushing here okay? He could easily have a club draw himself and wants to take this pot down. Seems like a pot odds question? If he has a set, he probably won't fold to a flush (putting you on JT bluff or something). I wouldn't really count any of the 4 sevens as outs, as he might have JT PLUS if he has something like 888, he can probably find a fold when the 7 hits. So IMO you have a gutshot and a flush draw, both fairly well disguised. The problem is, he can easily have some terribly weak hand that won't pay you off and it's just hard, b/c any bluff will have to be the rest of your stack probably.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Call. You have a very good chance of making him fold should a club come. Assuming the pfr folds on turn, pot will be about 900. If club comes and he checks, bet 650. If you make your hand and he leads, easy allin. If you make your hand and he checks, bet pot.

Edit, didnt realise how much he has left. Push any river scare card that he checks.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM

I'm not sure about CO raising anything on the flop - and it seems like he's strong w/ his bet on the turn.

Because of this, I figured I had to call w/ some decent implied odds as well. I called, river is Qc. He had less than $600 left (I think more like $550) in a large pot. He checks - is this worth a bluff? This is a little more than 1/2 the pot.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:17 PM

hmm, Q is interesting becuase it gives you a bit of showdown value. I'd say it depends on how much showdown value do you think you have. But I doubt your hand is good. SO go back into PT and see what he does on the river. Hopefully you're quick at pulling that [censored] up.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of this, I figured I had to call w/ some decent implied odds as well. I called, river is Qc. He had less than $600 left (I think more like $550) in a large pot. He checks - is this worth a bluff? This is a little more than 1/2 the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]welll, it seems like you prob shouldve moved in on the turn. he would flat call in thaty spot on the flop with a set? you think hes gotta straight?
on the river looks like a v clear check. a good player mightve just bet all his money if he was gonna call anyway even though that river cad is truly horrible, but i think you just dont have enough left. if you could bet 1K, then sure.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:46 PM

ok, i think i changed my mind...
if you have respect for this guy, i dont see why hed check/call this river. doesnt make sense... if you were drawing you got there... hes not inducing anything.
i guess just bet the rest of his money and take it, probably.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
welll, it seems like you prob shouldve moved in on the turn. he would flat call in thaty spot on the flop with a set? you think hes gotta straight?
on the river looks like a v clear check. a good player mightve just bet all his money if he was gonna call anyway even though that river cad is truly horrible, but i think you just dont have enough left. if you could bet 1K, then sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this, although that turn bet really screamed set, twopair, or straight to me - he wasn't that good, and was passive w/ draws.

On the end, I checked behind because I couldn't see him folding for that little. He flipped up 888. My call on the turn was just a math call and I never planned to bluff on the club with that little money left, although it doesn't have to work too often to be profitable (so maybe I should have pushed in).

meh.