Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Is this horrible?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, $6 Turbo, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

BB (t4170)
UTG (t1315)
MP (t3860)
Hero (t2365)
SB (t1790)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t690 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1990

I found myself in this type of situation a few times over the past couple days, and I always seemed to get the worst of it. Any thoughts or guidelines? Better to push PF? Folding doesn't seem like an option. No real read on UTG.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Is this horrible?

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, $6 Turbo, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

BB (t4170)
UTG (t1315)
MP (t3860)
Hero (t2365)
SB (t1790)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t690 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1990

I found myself in this type of situation a few times over the past couple days, and I always seemed to get the worst of it. Any thoughts or guidelines? Better to push PF? Folding doesn't seem like an option. No real read on UTG.

Thanks,
J

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold preflop.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM

I would also fold preflop. Because he's raising half his stack, you can rest assured that he'll call an allin or push after the flop. Any pair is a race, and with a larger stack you might as well avoid races; wait to get in cheap and beat your opponents postflop.

However, if you are going to play the hand, pushing pre would be better than calling, IMO.

&gt;&gt;&gt;ZIPPPY [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Unfortunately, yes it is.

There's no reason you need to be in this hand. The BB and SB have lots of chips to take on the opener if they feel like it. Almost any reallocation of chips among these players is good for you. If the opener busts out, you're one place closer to the money. If the opener steals the blinds, the big stack is a little less menacing to you, and the SB is a little closer to going bust. If the opener triples through them, it's a wide open game again.

You don't need to be the sheriff on this one, especially with KQ. It's a slight underdog against any Ax or PP, the most likely hands for Villain. You've got enough chips to wait for something better. Sit back instead, and watch one of your opponents get hurt on this hand.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:45 PM

I think this is a clear fold preflop. You are getting 1.5:1 pot odds with a marginal hand against a preflop raises with very little fold equity (he's already committed half his stack). Not to mention the fact that you may have action behind you.

I will add that I would push with the exact same hand if no-one has opened the pot.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:57 PM

i'd fold pf

unless they are raising kx, qx, jx u are a dog...

vs AA: 13.7%
vs KK: 9.3%
vs pp: 45.9%
vs Ax: 42.5%

take away 4% if they are suited
Old 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Your options, from best to worst are:

1) Fold preflop
2) Push preflop
3) Call preflop, call any flop
4) Call preflop, fold missed flops

At the very least if you are going to put chips in here, give yourself a chance to see all 5 cards, especially if he has an underpair or A-small.

But for the other reasons described in this thread, just fold.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:03 PM

yes...

next time, think about it this way. UTG pushes in his remaining stack and you're in BB with KQo. Calculate the odds that way. I say this because it is 99% sure that he is either calling your reraise or pushing/calling any flop.

That said, you are not good enough against his range to warrant this call. fold.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I certainly understand now why folding PF is the best option. If no one had opened, what is the best option (call, raise, push)?

Thanks,
J
Old 09-07-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will add that I would push with the exact same hand if no-one has opened the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]