Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 01:55 PM

Default About the hand converter

I have sold the rights to the hand converter. Part of the deal requires me to ensure that the converter is not used by 2+2 anymore.

The group that bought it knows it was released in source form and I have informed them that there are many people on 2+2 that could rewrite it in another language. I don’t know what action would be taken if that happened and it is not my concern.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I must insist that the hand converter not be used anymore.

greenage
Old 09-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: About the hand converter

Any chance that the new group will make it available somehow? I would have gladly made a donation to you, if that could have helped keep the tool available to everyone here.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Hello lstream,

I was contacted a couple of months ago with an offer that I turned down partly out of loyalty to this forum. The offer was increased to an amount that is significant to me and I finally decided to accept it.

I don’t know much about the project that it will be incorporated into and frankly don’t want to. As far as I know, it may end up as an offering on a gaming site.

greenage
Old 09-11-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have sold the rights to the hand converter. Part of the deal requires me to ensure that the converter is not used by 2+2 anymore.

The group that bought it knows it was released in source form and I have informed them that there are many people on 2+2 that could rewrite it in another language. I don’t know what action would be taken if that happened and it is not my concern.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I must insist that the hand converter not be used anymore.

greenage

[/ QUOTE ]

Greenage,
This is a bittersweet moment. I'm sorry to see the converter go away. It really did help out this forum alot.

But, I think you made the right decision. Espically if the offer was "significant". Having some of your work purchased by a third party is a great thing to put on a resume. Hopefully putting that down when applying to job will help you land a better job next time you are out looking.

Congratulations. Please stick around the forum regardless.

Jon
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. Please stick around the forum regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM

Ya - forgot to say congratulations - good for you.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 PM

Congrats greenage. Hope the new project works well for you as you've shown a lot of talent in your converter!

Btw, a few months ago, I decided to convert Greenage's script from VBscript to PHP for greater compatibility. The script was long (about 4000 lines) so debugging was a nightmare. I ended up abandoning the project on the third day. I think someone other than me can probably finish it in about 20 hours. Unfortunately, I have went over greenage's code and mine is heavily based upon his. I am unsure whether or not I will even be able to post/use that code on account of greenage having sold his copyrights to his version.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, a few months ago, I decided to convert Greenage's script from VBscript to PHP for greater compatibility. The script was long (about 4000 lines) so debugging was a nightmare. I ended up abandoning the project on the third day. I think someone other than me can probably finish it in about 20 hours. Unfortunately, I have went over greenage's code and mine is heavily based upon his. I am unsure whether or not I will even be able to post/use that code on account of greenage having sold his copyrights to his version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi BRL,

I do believe a conversion from VBScript to PHP (or any other language) would violate the copyright of the new owners, but I’m not a lawyer.

As I said before, my job is to ensure that my converter is not used by 2+2 anymore. If someone converts it to another language, it is up to the new owners to take action.

greenage
Old 09-11-2005, 06:33 PM

I know some people from my gaming days who are capable of writing up a hand converter fairly easily. Maybe I can talk them into doing it for a token amount of money.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some people from my gaming days who are capable of writing up a hand converter fairly easily. Maybe I can talk them into doing it for a token amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be fine as long as it is an original work and not a thinly veiled copy.

greenage