Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:11 AM

Default I really like my thought process here - AA vs. weak-tight BB

Villain is a decent player but probably still a small loser at 10/20. Sees a decent number of flops at around 22-25%ish, but isn't aggressive enough and doesn't defend his blinds much. I've raised the blinds a few times but not overly so to the point I believe he's playing back at me.
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

What am I thinking on each street here? Without the read and a thought process it looks pretty weak, but think a little harder. I'll post my thought process after I hear yours.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: I really like my thought process here - AA vs. weak-tight BB

looks ok
i generally cap flop here even against this guy.

actually no i think you have to cap the preflop. especially since you've stolen at least a few times against him, and capping a steal looks fishy.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:20 AM

I like it. Looks like an overpair or possibly even a set on the flop. I raise any non J-Q-K on the turn but once that Q hits I call it down to avoid being 3-bet if behind.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 AM

It looks to me like you were going to raise the river, then with all the other broadway, you figured he'd have setted you. Sound right?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:55 AM

I think you have to raise the turn. This is where not capping PF gets you. Now you need to raise. Don't worry, no one folds.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Posting Blind:

Flop: Looks like villain likes his hand - likely an overpair, maybe AT, maybe TT. Capping is going to slow him way down, and we are ahead of nearly all his hands. Call to raise a good turn card.

Turn: The Q is a bad card - QQ has pulled ahead, and given the read we might fold JJ or AT with a raise here. Better to call and raise the river.

River: The K is another bad card. He is now less likely to pay off a raise, and more likely to be ahead. Since now we are behind TT/QQ/KK, tie with AA, and really only be JJ/AT we can't raise for value because we're not ahead enough. Still call though.

How's that compared to your thoughts?

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 PM

I missed the pf action the first time.

Honestly - the number of times I've failed to cap AA preflop can be counted on 1 hand, and they were usually misclicks...but in this particular scenario I like it. He will severely misread your hand, and often give you far more action on safe flops than he would otherwise.

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Cap PF. He likes his hand, he is going to pay. Remember, tricky plays are best left at the B&amp;M 40/80 or higher stakes games, not at low limit online games.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM

cap PF, raise the turn

it'll be interesting to hear your thought process, cuz right now I cant come up with any ones worthy of playing the hand the way you did.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Alobar - your response to me or OP?