Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 PM

Default 5/5 PLO8 semi-bluff

4-handed blinds 5/5. I have been opening on the button quite a bit, often uncontested. I made it $20 to go on the button with
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The SB calls, BB folds.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check behind.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB bets 45, I make it 125. Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: 5/5 PLO8 semi-bluff

Come on. Help a newbie out.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 AM

I call the turn rather than raising. You've got a couple mediocre draws, so I don't think raising here is +EV unless you believe youc an get your opponent to fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the turn rather than raising. You've got a couple mediocre draws, so I don't think raising here is +EV unless you believe youc an get your opponent to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's certainly not a value raise if that's what you mean. Obviously for the raise to be correct there has to be some amount of fold equity. Also, my low draw is to the nuts.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 AM

You have no backup low, and there's the chance you'll be quartered. You're hand is still mediocre at best.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4-handed blinds 5/5. I have been opening on the button quite a bit, often uncontested. I made it $20 to go on the button with
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The SB calls, BB folds.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check behind.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB bets 45, I make it 125. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest before you ask about anything else, you start to get an idea of what is a good hand to open raise from the button in a 4 handed game with. Until you work out that QJ23 is complete trash, it's pretty pointless offering advice on any other aspect of your game. Limp with it, sure, but don't open raise, you're just asking for trouble if anyone plays back at you, since you can neither call the raise back nor hope for more than half anyway.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Ok...I wouldn't have played this hand preflop or at best I would have limped...but since you played it, flopped the Ace that you needed and a pair against one other opponent.

I would not check behind on the flop.

You raised preflop, so your opponent could easily put you on A A.

I would put in a half pot or full pot bet right there to try and take away the pot.

If he called your preflop bet with low cards...he could easily fold to your bet with only an Ace on the flop.

Try to win a small pot right here. You don't really want another small card on the turn to give him a reason to stick around to the river and then back into something that beats you.

Dave
Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's certainly not a value raise if that's what you mean. Obviously for the raise to be correct there has to be some amount of fold equity. Also, my low draw is to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You correctly recognize that your hand is clearly not best right now, and correctly recognize that you must have lots of fold equity to make this a good play. Yet you give no info on your opponnet or his tendencies, so how can we give you good advice when the crux of the hand relates to what a given opponent would do here?

I will say that bluffs requiring lots of fold equity work best when you can represent a particular hand that your opponent will be afraid of, and when the board is such that there are not many hands that can call. Neither of which is true here.

-g
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Two things--I would also play this hand short-handed, occasionally for a raise. I also like your turn play, so long as you are confident the SB won't reraise (and provided that stack sizes are as deep as they should be for this game); there are many hands that you actually lead here that will lead at the pot on the turn in a short-handed game because of the lack of flop action.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM

I mentioned that I had been opening quite a bit and usually buying the blinds. When this is true, I think any hand I play on the button after UTG folds I should raise. Perhaps because this is a split game changes this and makes limping often correct, but I still don't think so. So preflop I think is raise or fold.

What about the flop check with the intention of betting/raising certain turn cards? I think if you sometimes check behind with monsters (say a set + flush draw + backdoor low) you can get away with checking behind on mediocre hands that might get much better after a free

The main question is what hands will he call the big turn raise with? And what hands will he reraise? (I think there are very few of the latter.)