Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Crash course in tournament Omaha

So, this morning, I was using some of my FPP to play in a sattelite to the WCOOP #2, $215 PL Omaha. Usually, when I win a sattelite to one of these big tournaments, I withdraw and take the tournament dollars and use them to play in a bunch of smaller tourneys since the stakes are too big for me.

However, when I got lucky enough to win my seat onto this one, I saw that when I withdrew I got $W instead of $T which can only be used in poker stars special event tournaments. So, I have to basically play in one these WCOOP tournaments.

The problem lies in the fact that I've just not had a lot of experience in Omaha against players who know what they're doing.

Some questions...

1) What types of hands should I join multi-way limped in pots with and what types of hands should I avoid in limped in multi-way pots. Additionally, what types of hands should I be raising a bunch of limpers in position with?

2) What types of hands should I be stealing with when folded to me in the cutoff or button and will blinds defend more or less than in hold 'em?

3)Most hands in Omaha from what I've seen are no worse than 60-40 against another hand preflop, so if I get caught stealing and get moved in on or nearly all in, but am getting better than 1.5 to 1 (which i will almost always be getting in an all in situation), should I call with most all my hands? This is assuming I didn't attempt a steal with a 3 of a kind or 4 of a kind type hand.

I know the basics...Omaha is a game about trying to make the nuts or a very strong draw on the flop. So, basically, my strategy is going to be to be cautious when I could have a second best hand and charge the most when I hold the nuts. Also, I'm going to try to steal a lot of blinds and gamble on draws since I'm not going to be outplaying anyone.

What else should I keep in mind while playing? I'm basically free-rollin with FPP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Crash course in tournament Omaha

(1) Suited aces, four-way coordinated hands, preferably double-suited, JJxx+ for set value and medium sized double pairs 6655+ if you aren't allergic to the fold button if you flop middle set and get a lot of action.

(2) Honestly, while the stacks are deep I wouldn't worry about stealing the blinds too much. If you want to develop an aggro image I'd steal with any two of my cards 10 or higher, some kind of straight possibilities w/ atleast two cards suited (tons of hands). In general, in PLO you should be loose as a two dollar hour on the CO and Button as long as you don't suck balls postflop.

(3) Short stack omaha is a luckfest. If the stacks are still deep, I'd stay out of situations like this. People are going to frequently play back at you. If you got a big stack and want to gamble it up, I'd call with any four as long as your steal attempt criteria includes atleast a couple of big cards, a pair or some kind of coordinated something or other.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:23 PM

Keep in mind that you can use W$ for any of the WCOOP tourneys so you might want to play in a game you're more familiar with. You can also sell your W$ for around 85-90% give or take.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that you can use W$ for any of the WCOOP tourneys so you might want to play in a game you're more familiar with. You can also sell your W$ for around 85-90% give or take.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also use them for supersatellites for WPT/EPT/WSOP events. I use them for low priced supersatellites to more WCOOP events.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 PM

oh sweet, it works for the EPT stuff?

Does it also work for the normal sunday tourneys when we get back to that schedule? I'm just constantly playing the satellites, so they end up being freerolls.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it also work for the normal sunday tourneys when we get back to that schedule?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just WSOP/WCOOP/WPT/EPT satellites and WCOOP and WSOP main events.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:55 PM

I would jsut unreguster and save your $W, like I said in antoher thread this tourney is unl. rebuys and you will be at a huge disadvantage if you dont rebuy plus you say your not the best omaha player.