Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Default If you never bluffed...

I've been playing limit Holdem at 1/2 & 2/4 for a few months now with limited success (1.9BB/100). I started playing two tables at once a week ago and I noticed that:
1. My pre-flop play was tighter
2. I was more willing to fold
3. I virtually never bluffed anymore
4. My winnings so far seem to be the same as usual.
My question is - how successful can poker player be playing tight-agressive-sensible but NEVER BLUFFING?! What would happen?<font color="green"> </font>
Old 08-28-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: If you never bluffed...

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - how successful can poker player be playing tight-agressive-sensible but NEVER BLUFFING?!

[/ QUOTE ]

You would only be tight, not aggressive. Vegas is full of retired rocks that rarely bluff. Most of them make a small supplemental income so if that is your definition of success go for it.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:48 AM

In theory, you cannot win at Poker without bluffing. That assumes that people figure out you never bluff, and thus only call or raise you when they have hands better than the average hand you bet with.

In practice, it's perfectly reasonable not to bluff as long as people are giving you the calls you need to make a profit. When that changes, you can loosen up (not bluff, just play moderate hands) and steal a lot of blinds and small pots. When people start calling again, you can consider either bluffing or going back to tight. As long as people are slow to react, they're always playing you wrong, and you can win. In on-line play people may never catch on.

There's no law that says you have to bluff. You only do it if it makes you money.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:08 AM

I think you need to take the limit your playing at into account. I play 3/6 live and rarely if ever bluff because it rarely if ever works. There is no reason to bluff as long as you are against opponents who will call your strong hands.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to take the limit your playing at into account. I play 3/6 live and rarely if ever bluff because it rarely if ever works. There is no reason to bluff as long as you are against opponents who will call your strong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying if you flopped an open-ended straight flush draw and were last to act you wouldn't bet? Odd if you ask me.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 AM

I play low limit ($2-$4) stud/8 and I rarely bluff. I will only semi-bluff or bluff at a pot if I know my opponents are capable of being bluffed. I have had more success by waiting for strong hands and playing them accordingly.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying if you flopped an open-ended straight flush draw and were last to act you wouldn't bet? Odd if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not bluffing. That's betting with the best hand.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody said anything about not semi-bluffing, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Interesting thread, informative, thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Online you could do very well never bluffing, because the whole reason for occasionally bluffing is not only to win pots but also to enforce the idea "Hey I bluff, you should call my bets cuz I could be bluffing"

Online your opponents change out so much nobody can notice your tendencies as much.