Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Very Interesting Hand Online. How would you play this?

This is a very tricky hand from 20k Paradise tournament. I have 10,000 in chips, a little less than average with blinds 400/200 and 25 antes.

Everyone folds around to me on the button and I have 98 of spades. I raise 4 x BB to steal the blinds. I raised 4 x because I didnt want the big stack in the small blind to play back at me. The player in the big blind was a short stack.

The big stack in the small blind double raises my raise, the short stack interestingly just calls about half his chips and since I'm getting great odds and have position, I also call leaving me with about 6500 chips. I'm concerned that the big stack has a big pocket pair and I have no idea what the short stack is doing.

Flop comes J-8-4 with two hearts and no spade. Big stack is first to act and does a ¨"post oak" bet of just 400 chips into a 10,000 pot. This could mean one of two things: he missed the flop or is slowplaying a big pocket pair.

Small stack calls again and I raise 3,000 chips, or half my stack thinking I might have the best hand. The big stack raises me all in and the small stack calls.

Now I'm surely beat, probably by both players. So I fold even though I only have 3,000 in chips and and blinds and antes cost 1,000 each round.

Both players had AK and end up splitting the pot with ace high. My 98 would have won easily.

In hindsight I think I played this hand very poorly. I a lot of good players would have done the same thing, folded in that spot, but both my raise and my lay down was very poor.

My raise should have been all in. In this spot either you raise all in, or just call the small bet. Raising half of your chips is just poor in my opinion.

Furthermore the fold was a bad laydown. Normally I'm the type of player that just makes bad calls, not bad laydowns. But this one was. Even if he had Aces I still had a 22% chance to win a 25,000 pot and I was getting 1/9 pot odds to call. My chance of doubling up three times to get to 25,000 in chips is far worse than 22%. Furthermore there was the possibility that my hand was already good, as it was in this case, even though his betting patterns had big pocket pair written all over it. The size of the pot and the nature of the hand, it was clearly necessary to call and gamble here.

As for the other players, the shorstack played this hand terribly, passive weak the whole time. He should have raised all in preflop and forcing me out of the pot. The big stack's superaggressive all-in reraise was with just ace high, when I was showing a lot of strength, was too loose in my opion. It worked in that instance because I folded, but 4 times out of 5 he would have been getting his money in with the worst hand. He was risking 1/3 of his stack on ace high.

In short, it was a hand that everyone played poorly but the most aggressive player prevailed.

Thoughts and how would you have played this hand in this situation?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Very Interesting Hand Online. How would you play this?

Yea you butchered this hand. I would push on the flop, I think you have some FE and it is like a flop squeeze play. Usually the mini bet means they missed IMO.

edit- i dont know if you can get the short stack to fold but i still push