Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Boston cost of living

I live in Western New York, where the cost of living is really low. I've been offered a job in Boston making significantly more than I do now (to be expected), but I'm unsure if it's appropriate, considering my impression of the cost of living.

Generally speaking, what does it take to live comfortably in the Boston area? Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend some cheap(er) places to live comfortably that are within commuting distance?

Long story short, I'm looking for a ballpark salary so that I can live there comfortably. Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Boston cost of living

www.google.com
Old 09-02-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Western New York, where the cost of living is really low. I've been offered a job in Boston making significantly more than I do now (to be expected), but I'm unsure if it's appropriate, considering my impression of the cost of living.

Generally speaking, what does it take to live comfortably in the Boston area? Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend some cheap(er) places to live comfortably that are within commuting distance?

Long story short, I'm looking for a ballpark salary so that I can live there comfortably. Any input is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of what you're asking is subjective.

I'd say the Boston area is at least 50% more expensive (as far as housing goes) than Western NY, probably more.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Monster.com has a cost of living comparison calc that compares places.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Cost of living in Boston is very high. One of the highest in the country. Comparable, although slightly cheaper, to Manhattan. It is impossible to say how much you have to make to be 'comfortable' because I don't know what 'comfortable' means to you or what your family/lifestyle situation is like. But if you're currently living very cheaply, I would think you would want to see something like a 25-40% raise to make moving worthwhile from a monetary perspective. Of course living in Boston is a lot more fun than living in Western New York, so you might want to take that into account as well. And you can find cheaper places to stay if you look outside of the downtown Boston/Cambridge area. Look at spots like Somerville, Medford, Allston, Brighton, etc.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM

I've googled it and taken a look at some of the calculators that exist, but I don't think it's as formula driven as they purport it to be. According to most calculators, my jump in salary will actually cover my lifestyle by a fair amount...but from the math I've done, it doesn't seem so straightforward. Most decent apartments I've seen go for well over $1000/month. Some studios in the $1200+ range. Decent apartments around here can be found for $600.

Massacusetts imparticular has an extremely inflated housing market, although Boston isn't the worst in the state it is still really high. The Worcester/Shrewsbury area is ridiculous though. Generally speaking the raise would need to be significant to move if you are comfortable where you are. But if the new job would be more challenging/fulfilling I am sure you will make due.
~Justin

hey bro-

currently i live in Quincy, which is a outlieng town. i pay $1k a month in rent, and that includes everything. I can walk to the train and am about a 10 minute drive (no traffic) from the heart of the city.

The most cost effective places to live are probably north of the city (somerville, everett, malden) with south of the city being a little more expensive.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at spots like Somerville, Medford, Allston, Brighton, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks...that's definitely helpful. I realize I'm not exactly going to be living in a penthouse suite type condo. I just want something that is in good shape and bigger than a closet.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've googled it and taken a look at some of the calculators that exist, but I don't think it's as formula driven as they purport it to be. According to most calculators, my jump in salary will actually cover my lifestyle by a fair amount...but from the math I've done, it doesn't seem so straightforward. Most decent apartments I've seen go for well over $1000/month. Some studios in the $1200+ range. Decent apartments around here can be found for $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep in mind that housing may cost 100% more, but groceries and other staples might not.