Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Ego problem switching games

Any of you guys that play really high stakes NL cash have a problem playing low stakes games? I really KNOW I'm capable of beating about 5/10 limit holdem; no idea about PLO/PLO8, but probably not too high of stakes (100 pl maybe?); maybe like 1/2 or 2/4 for stud or stud8, .5/1 2-7 TD, etc etc. Any of you guys just hop on high stakes when you play other games?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Ego problem switching games

Yea I tried 5/10 stud last week piss drunk. All I remember is that I broke almost exactly even. Maybe I dreamed the whole thing I don't know.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 PM

Maybe BicycleKick can answer this question, because when he posted those 5-10NL hands I began to wonder if he played in those games because he could beat them or because he either 1) couldn't play lower stakes or 2) wanted to play against good players and get better faster and didn't care that he was losing money.

Btw, no offense BK
Old 09-02-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe BicycleKick can answer this question, because when he posted those 5-10NL hands I began to wonder if he played in those games because he could beat them or because he either 1) couldn't play lower stakes or 2) wanted to play against good players and get better faster and didn't care that he was losing money.

Btw, no offense BK

[/ QUOTE ]

His hands weren't that bad,
Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So? That doesn't mean much unless those were the only 3 hands he played.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So? That doesn't mean much unless those were the only 3 hands he played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in an awful state, but basically I was just trying to get across that we shouldn't be having a go at BK for playing the 1k, especially seeing as he made some ok plays.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 PM

There are a couple factors:

One - the stakes mean something to me, so I think I'll play harder and better. (and therefor learn faster)
Two - I'm around better players and I think it will rub off on me. I'm also learning how to play with good players, as the limits I'm interested in playing are going to have good players and the more exp I get vs them the better.
Three - to an extent my ego

There was another reason I thought but I'm watching the vikings game and am distracted and can't remember what it was.

/edit - So far I feel like I'm about a breakeven player in that game. I could be wrong though...either way. So far maybe 2k hands stuck like 4 buyins or something. I've gotten stacked a handful of times when I've been a significant favorite. Totally ok with it but that's a big part of it I think. Could easily be the other way.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 PM

Fair enough.

I'm sure we will see a stat post of yours when you run at like 20BB/100 over 10,000 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 02:15 AM

I also notice you sometimes play 2 tables of HU nl 50-100, and then 1 hr later are playing nl 5-10 on ub, just wondering why?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any of you guys that play really high stakes NL cash have a problem playing low stakes games? I really KNOW I'm capable of beating about 5/10 limit holdem; no idea about PLO/PLO8, but probably not too high of stakes (100 pl maybe?); maybe like 1/2 or 2/4 for stud or stud8, .5/1 2-7 TD, etc etc. Any of you guys just hop on high stakes when you play other games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for any of the other games, but you should be able to do fairly decently at PLO8 200-400 buy in with just an understanding of how splitting the pot works at the end and some understanding of pot odds (i.e. don't call potsize bets with second nut low, as I've seen people do).