Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:51 PM

Default LO8 Big Draw Turn Decision

It seemed like an easy fold at the time, as I was facing 3 bets cold, and only playing for half the pot. But the pot is fairly big, and I have top two with a 2-way flush draw. If it was not 3-bet, does it make it a call? Opinions appreciated.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="red">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero folds?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: LO8 Big Draw Turn Decision

Fold the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM

Yes, meant to ask that also.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 PM

Hard to fold those draws to half a pot, big hands. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM

I never said it was a hard fold. I automucked. I was asking, in hindsight, if this was correct.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 PM

Fold the flop, fold the turn.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn:...
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, CO 3-bets, Button folds, Hero folds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sean - Looks like it might get capped behind you after you call, and if it does, assuming UTG calls, I think you'll be getting about two to one implied pot odds for the high half the pot. Hard to know for sure because UTG could fold.

I'd guess two or maybe all three of your opponents have a wheel. Hard to figure your hand odds exactly, because it's hard to know how often you'll win if the board flushes in hearts - but I estimate the odds are only about three to two against your ending up with the winner for high - if we don't know if one of your opponents has a better heart draw than you.

If we take away the heart draw for you (by giving one of your opponents better hearts), you become about an 8 to 3 underdog for high.

Therefore, it seems rather a close decision. If you knew for sure, 3 to 2 would indicate you should call but 8 to 3 would be a fold. Although I'd probably tend to call the triple bet and hope for the best on the river, you cannot be faulted whichever way you chose to play it. (I'd guess it less likely that an opponent saw the flop with better hearts, because the ace of hearts appeared on the flop).

Just my opinion. (I did run a couple of sims to get the odds quoted above).

Buzz
Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else fold this pre-flop, even in the SB? This hand just smells of trouble.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand just smells of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it does.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else fold this pre-flop, even in the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got company. Niss and Gooper beat you to the punch. (See above).

I have it rated as a sub-marginal starting hand in a full game.

I probably fold it in a tournament, but in a ring game it seems a close decision for the bargain price of a completion from the small blind.

Buzz
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else fold this pre-flop, even in the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got company. Niss and Gooper beat you to the punch. (See above).

[/ QUOTE ]For the record, they said fold the flop (not pre-flop). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
But I agree it's still a fold even after seeing this flop.

[ QUOTE ]

I have it rated as a sub-marginal starting hand in a full game.

I probably fold it in a tournament, but in a ring game it seems a close decision for the bargain price of a completion from the small blind.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it's one of those hands that surrendering the half bet is worth saving the headache of getting semi-hit by the flop.