Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Did i have any chance of winning, or was it just \"one of those nights\"

Here's what happened to me last night.

12 person tourney 2 tables of 6. (lots of first timers)

The table i was at had 2 players i knew and 3 unknowns. The player behind me (normally weak tight) was an absolute maniac. Raising 3x BB EVERY hand. Overbetting the pot on the flop EVERY hand. Going ALL in about once every 5 hands or once the pot reached a certain amount. He was playing over 80% of the hands. He showed many of his hands he was hitting the flop a tremendous amount of the time. the other players were playing very passive and letting this guy run over the table. The problem was the i wasn't catching anything. (i know you have loosen your standards a little with a maniac but even using that logic i still wasn't catching anything)
to explain further.
0 Pocket Pairs
1 hand with an Ace (A8s, literaly the best hand i had all
night, this was the hand i got knocked
out on)
0 Suited Kings
0 Kings with a kicker above 4
0 Hands with 2 cards over 10
0 Suited connectors
0 1 Gap suited connectors
Very few offsuit connectors or suited cards. Basically every hand was j2o, q3o, 95o, 73o etc.

I couldn't win any pots with good hands (since i didn't have any) I couldn't earn any pots by aggressive play b/c any pot with i played aggressive i was gonna have to put all my chips in or fold at some point. This guy was going all in with any part of the flop (any draw, Ace high if the flop was ragged) I couldn't out aggress him and normally i would wait for a big hand, or big flop and trap but i couldn't do that either.

When we combined tables at 9, the only 2 solid players at the other table had been knocked out somehow (weird night) and this guy running over the table playing everyhand. I was too short stacked to do any damage.

Basically what i'm asking is. Is there anything i could have done in this situation or was just screwed for that night. Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Did i have any chance of winning, or was it just \"one of those nights\"

You were screwed for that night.

I had a 9-man tournament about a month ago. In three hours I played exactly 3 hands out of the blinds. On my final hand I caught QQ, pushed it all in. Got two callers and busted by A4.

The cards even out over a lifetime...on some nights, you get star-punched.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Did i have any chance of winning, or was it just \"one of those nig

[ QUOTE ]
...on some nights, you get star-punched.

[/ QUOTE ]

and other nights, it's "donkey punched"! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Did i have any chance of winning, or was it just \"one of those nights\"

nothing you could do...
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 AM

Wah. Happens to everyone. No need to complain on here then disguise it as a question. ("Why yes, Bill Franklin, there is a great strategy for winning a tournament when you get dealt trash every hand. Don't you know what it is? Ha, let me tell you...")
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Mr Big Nuts might have something to add to that strategy, after last night's tourney.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM

What happened?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 PM

I'm not complaining. i asked a simple question. How come everyone that's been on this group for a while has to be so sarcastic and rude everytime a newer member asks a simple question.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Did i have any chance of winning, or was it just \"one of those nig

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not complaining. i asked a simple question. How come everyone that's been on this group for a while has to be so sarcastic and rude everytime a newer member asks a simple question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we have all heard about a million bad beat stories and they are all annoying as hell. So when people trick us into reading a bad beat post people tend to get a little pissed. And BTW, you are complaining.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Okay, here is your simple answer to your simple question:

No, you had no chance of winning. Yes, it was just "one of those nights". Play awhile, some nights you can't catch a card. Other nights, you can't miss a draw. It's the nights in-between that separate the winners from the losers.

Now quit complaining. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]