Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Review: Hand 39, K8s

SB open-completes. Hero raises, SB calls. Flop comes Axx, one spade. SB check/raises, Hero folds.

I used to play situations like this like hero here, but I've found that I much prefer checking here, and betting any flop when checked to.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Review: Hand 38, K8s

Depending on my read of the opponent & how well I think I can control him, I might be very likely to 3-bet the flop.

Your milage may vary.

Edit to add that Hero's line is also my line by default. I wouldn't change it without reads.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 PM

By the way, this is hand 39, not 38.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 PM

I went back to double check that I had the number correct, saw it was 39, and then typed 38 anyway. It's fixed now.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Review: Hand 39, K8s

I agree with Wookie on this one. I've found that when it gets folded around to the sb, raising preflop is the poker equivalent of pissing on a wasp nest. It basically invites the other guy to take shots at you later in the hand.

A delayed steal (checking preflop and betting any flop) allows villain to give up the blinds while saving face.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found that when it gets folded around to the sb, raising preflop is the poker equivalent of pissing on a wasp nest.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPECIALLY in live games where a chop is expected and practical.

EDIT: I think Hero's line is reasonable because the pot is small and you didn't really hit. However, giving up this easily headsup is going to have metagame implications of people taking more shots at you when you raise. SB completed either with something (any ace) or attitude. Without a read, I don't know which. Therefore, the flop isn't really a value bet. I check behind and see what develops. I can auto-raise the turn just as easily as auto-bet the flop and it'll be more apt to pull down the pot right there.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:17 PM

i disagree, i hate having SB limp on my blind. i'll raise a worse holding than K8s, that's for sure.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:59 PM

I find that when SB completes HU into the BB they are either holding a monster or are very weak but it is usually the latter. By raising I punish him for limping with weak crap and make him think twice about doing that in the future. Itmakes SB less likely to bet into me on the flop unless he hits it and my fold equity goes up when I bet the flop when checked to. This works very well at 2/4.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that when SB completes HU into the BB they are either holding a monster or are very weak but it is usually the latter. By raising I punish him for limping with weak crap and make him think twice about doing that in the future. Itmakes SB less likely to bet into me on the flop unless he hits it and my fold equity goes up when I bet the flop when checked to. This works very well at 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this completely. so he hit the flop hard this time...we fold

grunch - i thought your default play was check pf and bet any flop?

edit - don't know why i thought the flop was A99.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM

I very strongly disagree with that sentiment. If SB was trying to steal, the overwhelming percentage of the theives will steal preflop, not on the flop. If he bets on the flop, it almost always means he has a hand, and if you don't, you fold. Easy peasy puddin' pie. If he checks, it overwhelmingly means he missed (he'll miss about 2/3 of the time) and will fold in this tiny pot. When you raise, you bloat the pot. He's much more correct to continue, even with hands that look completely unreasonable. I find my fold equity is much higher when I offer someone 3:1 than 5:1 on the flop.

Also, less likely to open complete when you raise? You give your opponents far too much credit for actually thinking.