Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Why does the moderator permit Dr. Wogga to use racial slurs?

This is a legitimate question.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Why does the moderator permit Dr. Wogga to use racial slurs?

Apparently "darkies" isn't clearly a racial slur. Perhaps he was talking about goths?

Also, BillUCF started a post with this gem: "Even if we relocated Israel to Greenland and gave the whole country to the Palestinians the crazy Arabs would find something else to fight about."

I private messaged the moderater a week ago, but received no response.

I get the strong feeling that racism is supported by 2+2.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Why Do You IGNORE The Action I Took Concerning That???

[ QUOTE ]
This is a legitimate question.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not a legitimate question; you are trolling.

How do we KNOW you are trolling? Because you responded to my post in that thread (wherein I wrote: "So I will ask Dr Wogga to not use pejorative racist appelations in general,...")

Since you responded to that post with a post of your own, you obviously had read what I had written and you KNEW that I had asked Dr Wogga to not use pejorative racist appellations.

Your response, by the way, asked if I was a Jim Crow moderator, and was clearly more trolling. I was addressing the issue appropriately by asking Dr Wogga to not do such things; yet you saw fit to troll.

notilting, you are now hereby cautioned against trolling.

copy of post wherein I asked Dr Wogga to not use pejorative racist appellations may be found below:

Re: Trash from the Left......
08/23/05 09:35 AM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

"The post is so unclear that I can't figure out what he is trying to say.

Anyway I'm going away for the rest of the week and will be leaving in a very few minutes. Mat Sklansky will be watching over the forum in my absence so you may wish to notify him of anything you find objectionable. And yes I agree the term "darkie" is rather objectionable but it is hard to figure out what the poster intends (or even means) here.

So I will ask Dr Wogga to not use pejorative racist appelations in general, and I will also ask you to refrain from name-calling directed at other posters.

For anything else this week please go to Mat."

end of copied post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Please stop asking for censorship

When a poster uses "racial slurs", his position, as odious and disgusting as it may be, becomes that much more obvious. We should be greatful. (We also should be mature enough to not feel "insulted" by juvenile crap.)

Do not fall for the "politically correct" trap, you will fall into it too, for sure.

Also, you have just caused our mod to go a little on tilt. Notice the multiple question marks. Quite out of character. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently "darkies" isn't clearly a racial slur. Perhaps he was talking about goths?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sentence Dr Wogga used was convoluted, but it appears he was referring to Prime Minister Vicente Fox having made a bigoted-sounding statement. He therefore characterized PM Fox in a certain way. In such usage it is unclear whether the poster himself was calling blacks "darkies", or whether he was attributing that mindset to PM Fox. So you see it isn't quite as cut-and-dried as it might appear at first glance.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, BillUCF started a post with this gem: "Even if we relocated Israel to Greenland and gave the whole country to the Palestinians the crazy Arabs would find something else to fight about."

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, BillUCF ended a post with that.

Well let's see: is BillUCF correct in that the Arabs would likely find something else to fight about? Who knows? But...sanity has long seemed in rather short supply in the Middle East, hasn't it--at least compared to elsewhere on the globe? So BillUCF's statement might be taken to mean something along those lines rather than implying that Arabs are genetically predisposed to craziness.

Also, he might be implying that there are a lot of crazy Arabs (relatively speaking)--but that that doesn't have to be due to genetics. Rather, if it is true that Middle Easterners are crazier on average, it might have something to do with the fanatical messages they regularly hear in mosques and elsewhere. There could be any number of factors ranging from resentment to religious brainwashing to taught hatred of Jews, to...whatever. But BillUCF is not necessarily wrong if he is saying there are more lunatics in the Middle East than elsewhere (and by default most of them would be Arabs). If he is saying that it is not necessarily a racist statement.

[ QUOTE ]
I private messaged the moderater a week ago, but received no response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been back since last night; sorry I did not PM you.

I don't think that BillUCF's statement is necessarily bigoted; and it might just be true that the Middle East cauldron won't stop boiling even if Israel were to be given to the Palestinians.

[ QUOTE ]
I get the strong feeling that racism is supported by 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not, but posters are free to speak their views. For instance, open discussion and debate about controversial topics like the book The Bell Curve IS permitted; open discussion and criticism of religions is permitted; and open discussion and criticism of cultural practices and customs is fair game for discussion and debate.

If you think BillUCF's phrasing was racist, why don't you ask him to further clarify what he meant by it?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 AM

Utter and complete nonsense.
The term "darkies" was singularly used by the poster by deliberate choice. PM Fox did not use the term. The poster should not get a pass because he is "characterizing" someones comments. I don't mind debating racists, however, if their vocabulary does not extend beyond the ignorant wording used in the post then that issue must be addressed before any discussion can continue.
My feeling is that the moderater has some sympathy for the poster's viewpoint and the language he chooses to express that viewpoint and thus nothing of consequence was done.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Please stop asking for censorship

[ QUOTE ]
When a poster uses "racial slurs", his position, as odious and disgusting as it may be, becomes that much more obvious. We should be grateful . (We also should be mature enough to not feel "insulted" by juvenile crap.)

Do not fall for the "politically correct" trap, you will fall into it too, for sure.

Also, you have just caused our mod to go a little on tilt. Notice the multiple question marks. Quite out of character. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP as best I could, however, most of it is a trainwreck.
You are quite off the mark to call his comment "juvenile." The word was chosen with purpose and intent, nothing juvenile about it.
The idea that we should be grateful for his willingness to express his predjudice so openly is mind numbing.
And it surely is not "political correctness" that causes me to call out a racist comment for what it is. People do a lot of stupid things that do no harm, this isn't one of those cases. And if you don't have the man muscles to see that, I hope you soon do.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 AM

m1illion, I directly asked DR Wogga not to use pejorative racist appellations. How many times do I have to say this? So CLEARLY something was done.

Why do you and others keep wrongly claiming that nothing (or in your case, "nothing of consequence") was done? It is my general practice to ask or warn posters before taking further actions, so as to give them a chance to modify their behavior; and to this pattern I have adhered in every single instance. Therefore Dr Wogga has not received preferential treatment in the slightest. So what exactly is the problem here?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:28 AM

Ask or warn.
You chose to ask not warn.
Not insist, not demand.
This was a clear crossing of the line. Merely asking was not enough in my opinion.

For example, Pizzy got a warning, I don't see how you justify that decision versus your decision to not warn Dr Wogga .
Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 AM

Default And I repeat : Please stop asking for censorship

[ QUOTE ]
You are quite off the mark to call his comment "juvenile." The word was chosen with purpose and intent, nothing juvenile about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
But I did not dispute the intent. I do not think it was "accidental"!

To me it amounts to "crap", because using a racist slur or making a racist comment have as much merit as taking a crap. And it was "juvenile" because it shows the maturity of a juvenile. (Come to think of it, that is too hard on juveniles!)

[ QUOTE ]
The idea that we should be grateful for his willingness to express his predjudice so openly is mind numbing.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMHO, we should welcome it. Even from a practical purpose: Instead of me (or you) posting a hundred-word post trying to prove that poster XYZ is a racist schmuck, why, poster XYZ writes something with the word "darkies" or "niggers" or some such.

Mission accomplished! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
It surely is not "political correctness" that causes me to call out a racist comment for what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
But I don't want you to stop doing that! I am all for spotting and pointing out racism and racist commentary or racist positions.

No, what I find to be misguided "political correctness" is calling for the censorship of racist language. Because censorship is unacceptable, as a matter of principle.

"Freedom of speech is essentially freedom of speech for those who think differently" -- Rosa Luxembourg.