Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Is villain taking a wa/wb line here?

I know what the wa/wb line is but I'm not certain when to use it. It seemed like villain was taking this line.

Villain is 40% vpip after 30 hands and is generally aggressive.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

If I think villain is using that line I would three bet, right? Or should I three bet regardless?

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 08-30-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Is villain taking a wa/wb line here?

Looks to me villain thinks he's WA and he's slowplaying. Doesn't look like WB entered villain's head.

Edit: just noticed the one-card straight on the river. So maybe A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Jx ? Oops never mind, you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Just ignore everything I say.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:30 PM

I don't think he was ever WB here, if you're looking at the same board I am, holmes just slowplayed a flush or hit his straight.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:42 PM

I would just call the river.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what the wa/wb line is but I'm not certain when to use it. It seemed like villain was taking this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting villain on WA/WB is generally an error since most players don't use WA/WB. I would want to see villain playing a solid TAGgy (or SLAGgy) game before even considering that WA/WB was in use.

Since he cold-called preflop, I'm pretty sure he's not solid TAGgy, so I'm pretty sure he's not WA/WB. I would call because there's enough error in the list of reasonable hands that he has, combined with the very nice bluffing card, to make me think you're good often enough again aggressive villain (not by much, though).

Three-betting is reserved for when you're sure you're ahead. Your 3-bet isn't countering his WA/WB -- your 3-bet is strictly based on the evaluation of the strength of your hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 PM

Villain had Kd Qc . . .

I was wondering if you know your opponent knows that line and is using it, you could know that he knows it and have a reason to three bet the river. Does anyone use that strategy or is it not applicable for .5/1 party, or in general?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 PM

WA/WB does not raise the river.

out of position it is check/call, check/call, bet/fold
in position it is call, call, call

so yes, if you are in position and it looks like your opponent is using WA/WB, but you know you're behind, raising the river to fold him would work. Your opponent here is not using WA/WB. Three betting is spewing.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 PM

thanks, very clear
Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 PM

ack.. sorry if I was a little blunt there. I just reread my post and it was a pretty harsh.

as it stands, you played the hand very well. I wouldn't do anything differently.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had Kd Qc . . .

I was wondering if you know your opponent knows that line and is using it, you could know that he knows it and have a reason to three bet the river. Does anyone use that strategy or is it not applicable for .5/1 party, or in general?

[/ QUOTE ]
That kind of high level thinking will not occur in a .5/1 game unless there are two very well educated players at the table. An example would be Eeegah clarkmeistering the river last night, me recognizing a clarkmeister and bluff raising (I had absolutely nothing), him knowing that I know the move and 3 betting, and my folding. You're never going to get that kind of thinking at a .5/1 because the game rotates so frequently and you don't get to know many opponents.