Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 01:35 AM

Default I need to be more like jason_t

Something I noticed about jason_t during our last trip to Vegas was that he was thinking about EVERY SINGLE DECISION for a good few seconds before making his play.

This is something I've noticed I don't do much of online, both when 4-tabling and responding to posts in this forum. I am just totally on autopilot and make my decision within a few seconds tops. It's usually right or close enough that I'm not sacrificing much winrate-wise, but I really am leaving something on the table by not stopping to think about the situation deeply for a few seconds including reads on opponents.

The post today that had a poll about check/bet with the pocket kings with the flush draw on the turn and an Ace on board was a perfect example. I thought it was an easy bet without even looking closely and missing simple information that makes the play an easy check (3 other opponents).

We even had a short discussion to this effect at ZooZa Crackers about this type of thing. Klepton pointed out that jason_t sits there and thinks about every hand doing the calculations while playing and always trying to make the best decision possible. Klepton, rmarroti, and myself all said that we just sort of looked the situation vaguely, decide what is best quickly, and then do it. I didn't think I was really giving up that much, but I'm starting to think jason_t really is doing it the right way and I need to start.

Anyways, I'm modifying my goal for the month which is now to pay extra close attention to every situation and think more critically about every hand I'm in. I've been cruising for too long and this is causing me to make bad decisions.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: I need to be more like jason_t

faster decisions do mean more hands per hour, though. this is vital when multitabling.

but in live play i can easily see why being more like jason is more optimal.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 AM

The delusion most people on this forum have is that they have convinced themselves that poker is easy.

That's why when they post hands they don't post any reads or previous hands with the player, they don't post any of their thoughts or considerations or what they think an opponent might do with certain hands. They want a quick easy solution to the problem when the reality is that most decisions worth posting here are neither quick nor easy if you try to take into account every detail of information that you have (if you're even paying attention enough to have reads in the first place).

For this reason I have cut back to two tables and cut down on the number of nonpoker things I do while I'm playing and trying to observe the other players at my table as much as I can when I'm not in a hand. In some ways it makes for a much more intense experience, but I feel it's probably the only way I'll ever get good enough to successfully move past 10/20 so it's surely worth it.

Good post, I hope we can both accomplish this goal from now on.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
faster decisions do mean more hands per hour, though. this is vital when multitabling.

but in live play i can easily see why being more like jason is more optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is vital to online play as well. What I am giving up is not worth the extra hands per hour IMO. All it takes is a few seconds of concentration and not just mindlessly clicking a button. If it drops my hands/hr by 10, but increases my winrate by .2, I'm all for it.

Not to mention, I think it's necessary to move up past the $10/20 6max, which I'm just not thinking about enough while playing.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 AM

I think consciously doing this will also help reduce tilt induced decisions
Old 08-30-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just silly imo.

1) Difficult decisions come up rarely, so the gain from taking 2 seconds vs 20 seconds is minimal in terms of increased hands/hour.

2) There are still 5 others at the table that effect the upper bound on hands/hour.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:11 AM

Problem is the more you think about something the more you are inclined to call (mainly to confirm what you were thinking), well in my experience anyway.

There is a fine balance between over thinking and making an instant decision, usually your first thought is the correct one.

Most decisions should be auto but you should be thinking about things while the game is being played so say someone is super agro on the turn. You should be picking this up and when the situation arises you should automatically know, hey this guy is super agro my hand is weak i'll induce a bluff here.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 AM

sure you are right, but i think to focus and think that much while multi-tablin would be much more stressful and fatiguing than auto-piloting, and you probably wont be able to put in as many hours. my brain would be fried in 30 minutes if i tried to deepthink every move while 4tabling 10/20.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:13 AM

I think you have a great point here. It seems that the higher you move up, the more it becomes more important that you play your A game 100% of the time. I don't care what people claim, when you're on auto-pilot you're not playing your A game. You may play 100 or more hands without making any real mistake, but then you'll come a situation that needs to be played differently than normal for one reason or another (your image, crazy opponents, board texture) and you won't do it.

It can be argued that these mistakes are minor and to some extent they are. But I find myself making mistakes like this a several times a night, and that adds up. Often, you can get away from it easily (the opponent folds anyway, calls your bluff raise with a worse hand, etc.), but sometimes a simple mistake early in the hand can lead you down a very expensive path. While not enough to really cut deep into your winrate, I often feel that mistakes like these keep you from achieving that magical high winrate that we all aspire to.

If you do manage to remove some these mistakes from your game, I'd love to hear about what methods worked for you. I don't think there's any way to remove them entirely, but I fear I'm near the bottom of the curve when it comes to making the more advanced decisions you're talking about.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most decisions should be auto but you should be thinking about things while the game is being played so say someone is super agro on the turn. You should be picking this up and when the situation arises you should automatically know, hey this guy is super agro my hand is weak i'll induce a bluff here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i was gonna say something like this too. i think nate tha great or ray zee or somebody said something like, "the goal is not to make great decisions in tough situations, but to learn to make tough decisions easy." or something.