Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Am I Too Aggressive here ?

After reading SSHE, I've been practicing on 0.05/0.10 Limit at PokerStars. I want to become an aggressive player, but the outcome seems to be a lot of relatively large losses.

Loose players are great when you get the hands and a good flop, but sometimes they get lucky or I don't get the flop I'd like and I end up losing a relatively large amount.

Any tips to reduce my losses would be greatly appreciated.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9s 3h (two pair, nines and threes).
Hero has Ac Kh (one pair, aces).
SB has Js Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins 21.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Am I Too Aggressive here ?

One of the best ways to stop your losses is to avoid betting.

Lets say you could wait to take action until all the cards have been dealt, and everyone attempting to win the pot has shown their hole cards. You would have to make a bet equal to the size of the pot, however. In this case you would not bet until you can be certain your hand will hold up as the best. No mater how much money you would have to bet to enter the hand, you would never lose money. Since we can not do that we have to evaluate how likely our hand will be the best before we reach the end of the hand.

Looking at the chapter “Evaluating the Flop” in SSHE. The hand you describe would seem best categorized as being a poor hand. Your hand has only a few outs. Its not able to make a Flush, a Straight, four of a kind, or even a full house. The best hand it could make is three of kind, but that could allow someone to make a full house. Chances are, your hole cards with that flop would lose more often then it would win. So to make a lot of bets in to such a hand would result in you losing more money than you will win. The best course of action is to

avoid making bets when you get a poor flop.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Play Dakota Poker League
Old 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Am I Too Aggressive here ?

I dont play very much limit but i dont think you should be 3 betting in a pot that's allready had a better and raiser when you only have a un-improved ace king high.

The turn was good news for you but it also meant it would be hard to get away from the hand. If the ace had flopped i would just pass it off as a bad beat but on the flop you were being to agressive with only ace king high. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]