Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 PM

Default leak

Is calling raises PF with small pocket pairs a leak in my game? i seem to always run into seem to run into set vs set, so much money is lost here, but so much money is won when you stack someone when they have aa or kk and you flop a set. do u guys have rules you set for urself to prevent the losses from set vs set?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: leak

Set over set happens so little to me that I never worry about it. Set under overpair, under top pair, and under two-pair happens so much for me that I'm getting in pre-flop with pockets as much as possible.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 PM

yea, who am i kidding? its just been a bad 10k hands
Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 PM

no. i lose all my money and go on to the next hand. when someone tells dan harrington how he layed down a set, dan thinks "idiot" according to his books.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 PM

Just apply the standard 5%/10% rule here.

If the bet you have to call is less than 5% of the SMALLER of your's and the villain's stack then ALWAYS call.
If it is more than 10% then fold.
Anywhere in between, it's a judgement call. This judgment is not so much based on what low PP you have (though 22 is worse then 66 obviously) but on wether you think you will be able to stack the other player if you do hit and he does't.

Finally remember, if you DO hit your set you could end up losing your stack if he hits better. Set over set IS rare but DOES happen and it hurts. But you cannot win unless you are prepared to lose.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:56 PM

you misunderstood what i was asking, i understand 5/10 rule, the question was more if people only played certain pocket pairs in raised pots to prevent set over set.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:06 PM

At 2/4 and 3/6 full ring, I think there are plenty of times you should throw away a pocket pair for a decent raise, even if the raise falls within the 5-10% spectrum. Being in position is damn important for getting paid off in these games where a lot of people don't readily go bust with overpairs. Of course, you might say, if they don't pay me enough, then I can outplay them and take away the pot. Well, that's also hard to do out of position.
Short I do definitely play them. I've gotten so many loose calls from my threebet flop pushes last few weeks it's crazy. Someone called 100BB bet-threebet all in with K8 on an eight high board. Of course, then I had the double gutshot + flush draw, and I never hit, so he won, but whatever, he weould have paid off my set sooo nicely.

Set over set... if you're running into that a lot you're running bad... Pure and simple.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 PM

I haven't lost to set over set in 50K hands....maybe i'm lucky. I've only beat about 2 or 3 people with set over set.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 PM

50k hands! i cant go 3k hands without it happening!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 PM

Not that you should be laying down sets frequently, but you can limit your losses to set over set. Just because you flop a set doesn't mean you should shove all your money into the pot.