Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Something to really make my night

Was having an okay session till this hand...
Just curious if you guys can spot anything terrible in the way I played it, now, before you jump on me for open limping with 44, this table is very loose and many players to a flop, not much pre-flop rasing so I thought I'd slide into the mix.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (15.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27.75 BB

(villian turns over J3 for the better full-house)

What do you do different?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Something to really make my night

bet the turn
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM

EP limp w/ low pairs is standard from .50/1 to 2/4. I'm not sure about after that. As for the hand, you really need to bet/3-bet the turn. Everything else looks fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Break my mouse. Take a note on how UTG played the hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 AM

What do I do differently? Flop BOTH the other 4s.

I don't have a problem with open limping small PPs. The preflop call of the raise is OK too.

Flop bet, 3bet that gets capped is fine also.

Lead the turn. Sure MP2 liked whatever he had, so let him raise and you reraise. I hope you do a better job of watching for other action than I do. Why is UTG+1 cold calling?

Another jack. Sweet! A boat. You led the river, UTG+1 raises. WTF? I call behind MP2. (I hope he calls.)

What can you do to keep the bigger boat out of your harbor? Remind him that Party is watching his patterns and they will expect him of having a program cheat if he keeps drawing out like that. Lying in poker is OK, isn't it?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead the turn. Sure MP2 liked whatever he had, so let him raise and you reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm unconvinced that leading the turn is better than a check/raise. Anyone want to help convince me?

First of all, i'd love a read on MP2. If he's a LAG/maniac, then sure, bet/3-bet. If he's at all reasonable, there's some chance he will slow down after he caps the flop and you keep betting. But when it's checked to him, he'll bet again, letting you check/raise.

A check/raise also faces the cold-caller with two, giving him only 6:1 on an immediate call. This may not matter, since the most obvious hand for him to have is a flush or open-ended straight draw, and if he doesn't, he only has 4 outs to beat us, so maybe we shouldn't worry about him anyway.

So i think the decision is kind of close. Can someone clarify why leading is better?

[ QUOTE ]
Another jack. Sweet! A boat. You led the river, UTG+1 raises. WTF? I call behind MP2. (I hope he calls.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling is too weak. Now that he (apparently) doesn't have the flush draw, i'm happy to put him on a J, but i would have trouble putting him on a bigger full house. And since MP2 is padding the pot, i definitely bump it again.

...until he caps, but by then it's too late. But i still think we need to 3-bet here.

Lastly, i'm guessing MP2 had AA?