Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Default flush draw with 2nd pair decision - 4 handed 2/4

4-handed 2/4 game

UTG is a bad LAG as he tends to way too far with his hands. The button is your typical tight short stack.

UTG ~450
button ~80
Hero covers

Both limp to me and I check with 9c 2c.

(14)
Flop: Tc 9h 6c

I bet 14, UTG calls, button pushes for about 65 more. I hate this position. This is an insta-call heads-up, but I'm not sure what to make of UTG's call. Could easily be a better draw or a T.

Anyway, here's one possible scenario, which points to a fold: http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1186529

I'm still not completely convinced. Is this an easy fold?

Marlow
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: flush draw with 2nd pair decision - 4 handed 2/4

Wouldn't someone definitely raise high suited cards pre-flop? I think AcKc is not really a big worry for you here.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't someone definitely raise high suited cards pre-flop? I think AcKc is not really a big worry for you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the AK is just a placeholder for any hand with 13 outs against me (better flush with overs). Could be QcJc, for instance.

It could also be a made str8. Here's the analysis of that: http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1186622

Marlow
Old 08-29-2005, 03:58 PM

reraise
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4-handed 2/4 game

UTG is a bad LAG as he tends to way too far with his hands. The button is your typical tight short stack.

UTG ~450
button ~80
Hero covers

Both limp to me and I check with 9c 2c.

(14)
Flop: Tc 9h 6c

I bet 14, UTG calls, button pushes for about 65 more. I hate this position. This is an insta-call heads-up, but I'm not sure what to make of UTG's call. Could easily be a better draw or a T.

Anyway, here's one possible scenario, which points to a fold: http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1186529

I'm still not completely convinced. Is this an easy fold?

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy reraise. You're looking to bet-3bet this flop, and here's your chance.

Push, or make it like $300 and autopush any turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy reraise. You're looking to bet-3bet this flop, and here's your chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I never thought that this could be called an "easy" reraise. I'm not sure I understand why. Is it because the guy who pushed is short stacked and I want to make sure that there's extra dead money in the pot to help my overall EV? Or is it just that this is just a good situation regardless of stack sizes? Do you fear UTG at all?

Thanks,
Marlow
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I never thought that this could be called an "easy" reraise. I'm not sure I understand why. Is it because the guy who pushed is short stacked and I want to make sure that there's extra dead money in the pot to help my overall EV? Or is it just that this is just a good situation regardless of stack sizes? Do you fear UTG at all?

Thanks,
Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

With a big draw (pair plus flush draw, straight and flush draw), with two cards to come you are at most a very slight underdog to any hand 2 pair or lower. Because of the dead money in the pot, it's almost always +EV to push these hands hard even if you are certain that your opponent will call. The exception comes when one of your opponents has a set, but are you really going to put LAG boy on a set here?

If there's any chance your opponent will fold, it's an even better move. In this case, I think you have hefty fold equity vs UTG. He "knows" you won't be bluffing into a dry side pot...

In this hand, you say you're worried about a bigger flush draw. Well, you shouldn't mind that, because you have a pair; if you're headsup against a bigger flush draw, you are in good shape. It will only be a problem if you are up against BOTH a bigger flush draw AND a bigger made hand. And the way the stack sizes are, that's not a concern (the $50 is not a big deal since you and UTG are deepish.)

Another virtue of this move against opponents who know you is that you can now bet->3bet sets and perhaps get called, because they've seen you bet your draws.

It also helps if you throw into the chat box something like "I wanted to gammbbbbbblllle" after the hand is over.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also helps if you throw into the chat box something like "I wanted to gammbbbbbblllle" after the hand is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's "Gamb000000000000000000000l"
Old 08-29-2005, 10:34 PM

Creed, this is a great response, thanks.

Over the past few weeks, I've really been revamping the way I play draws in general, and this bit of information really crystalizes a lot of it for me.

Marlow
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM

I'm actually a bit off; pair + flush draw is not in that good shape vs. two pair.