Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2005, 02:10 PM

Default online poker rakes -- unreal when u think about it

so im doing some bookkeeping and crunching my monthly numbers, and it appears i paid about $4100 in rake for august.

It was actually a very good month for me, so typically all you notice is how much you made (profits) without considering the cost of doing business.

I figure my monthly rake totals come in anywhere between 3000 and 4200. Say an average of 3600, and my yearly total should come in around $43000.

So, for me to be just a breakeven player, i would have to beat my opponents for $43000 over a year if i played as much.

That is an entires years salary to majority of the population. It smind boggeling.

Is there any other service or billing item in a persons life that even comes close to charging $40000 to an individual for 1 year? Closest thing i could think of is maybe the most prestigious golf club in the counttry.

Heck, even property taxes on a million dollar home would only come to about $10000.

So when you look at it like that, don't you wonder that at some point in time this online poker margins gotta become more competitive and balanced. its just out of whack the way it is now.

Even if they were to slash rates in half within a couple years.....that for someone like me is an extra $20000.....

But if they can charge what they do right now and have people playing, i'd do the same if i were them.