Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Ridiculous SB vs BB situation

No reads, was just moved to the table. I have a whole bunch of thoughts about every decision I made during the hand but would like to hear yours first. We are in the early stages of the money at this point. 1st place is over $3k.

PokerStars $10 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t13840)
CO (t21796)
Button (t18562)
Hero (t52040)
BB (t43074)
UTG (t26902)
UTG+1 (t12271)
MP1 (t44483)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t3700) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t4000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t12000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t20000</font>, Hero calls t8000.

Turn: (t43700) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t20974 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t64674
Old 08-27-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Ridiculous SB vs BB situation

fold PF or raise. Ok, why are you calling the 3-bet on the flop if you are folding to a push on the turn? Honestly, as you played it, I might be willing to die with this hand. However, I never would have been in this situation having folded PF.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:19 AM

how can you fold any two preflop from the SB here given pot odds (antes)? if you aren't going to limp, won't you just raise with any two, especially being the chip leader? i guess it depends on how often it's folded around to you in the SB and how hard you've been hammering on the BB.

as far as his 3bet, he min-raised me. if he raised bigger or moved in, i might have called or moved him in myself. but the min-raise was both odd, scary, and too difficult not to fold given the odds he was giving me. once he moved in on the turn, he was either on a no turning back bluff, or had me severely beat. i didn't want to risk the rest of my stack to find out. it's never too late to get away from a hand. but this one just had me scratching my head for an hour.

when someone min-raises you, sometimes you should just fold?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold PF or raise. Ok, why are you calling the 3-bet on the flop if you are folding to a push on the turn? Honestly, as you played it, I might be willing to die with this hand. However, I never would have been in this situation having folded PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't folding here be a mistake getting 3:1 even with any two cards (i'm talking PF).
Old 08-27-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't folding here be a mistake getting 3:1 even with any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Harrington says to complete with any two. I think you can get into difficult situations with Q4o, as in this hand with TPNK. Plus if BB is aggressive, he will raise a lot when you complete. I don't like to open complete much, but some people do.

In this hand, I think you have to be willing to put all your chips in with top pair, atleast after you put so much in with the checkraise. Villain could have 2nd pair or a draw.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Harrington says to do so when heads up, when in addition to having the small blind you have the button. That is not the case here. A fold would be acceptable, being OOP.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Harrington says to do so when heads up, when in addition to having the small blind you have the button. That is not the case here. A fold would be acceptable, being OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think Harrington would argue that you must at least call here with one high card. Odds are too good. 63o, fold.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:37 PM

I don't know about you guys but in this situation I call with any two, I just don't give up blinds, especially when they're not challenged. I tihnk you misplayed the hand on the flop. It seems to me that calling and seeing what your opponent does on the turn is the better play. Raising has very little value here, imo.