Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Default QJo and turn decision

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Villain is a 30/15/2 guy...

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero raises, 1 Fold, Villain calls, SB and BB call

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, everyone calls save the BB...

Turn: (7BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Villain bets and everyone folds to me. I call...
Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: QJo and turn decision

I fold this preflop
I fold the turn. He isn't overaggro, so he has something (A-high is good) a good amount of the time. Also, the field is too big for villain to make a bluff here. You could be drawing dead already
Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 AM

what do you intend to do on the river if you improve? dont improve?

if you're going to keep playing this hand on the turn it has to be for a raise.

raising QJo pf just gets you in a lot of trouble.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Feels like I misread your starting hand.

1. How can you raise preflop and not even provide a read on UTG? With an aggressive player on the button this is a pretty clear fold. Second choice is call.

2. Flop bet is terrible. Four opponents, no appreciable chance of having the best hand, frequently no outs except a backdoor straight, and you don't even have the button.

3. Turn call is terrible. A decent player has coldcalled, called the flop with three people behind him, and bet into three people on the turn. I'm going far out on a limb and guess he can beat Q-high. You are often drawing dead.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:27 PM

I'm pretty sure you take down this flop 1 in 11 in the 5/10 and 10/20 games. Sometimes you will turn a J or Q and be able to make a profitable decision there. Other times you will see a free J or Q on river and make a profitable decision there. Because of these factors it has to work less than 1 in 11. Also sometimes you will pick up an OESD or gutshot.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you take down this flop 1 in 11 in the 5/10 and 10/20 games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that you will take this one time in eleven. Running a pure bluff in a 5-handed pot is usually not profitable. The size of the pot and the K8 on board will make it easy for people to stay.

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you will turn a J or Q and be able to make a profitable decision there. Other times you will see a free J or Q on river and make a profitable decision there. Because of these factors it has to work less than 1 in 11.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of these good things will often happen if you check. You are next-to-last to act and Button will give the free card most of the times your Q/J outs are good. Betting could get you checkraised and actually kill your chance to improve your hand.

Checking has a substantial positive EV. Betting has to not only be +EV, it must be better than checking.