Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Default black Jacks

i get black jacks in a pretty good game.

2 limpers i raise in MP sb (seems pretty fishy but no real solid read-he called me down real light one time in the 10 hands ive been at the table) 3 bets.

both the bb and both limpers call i cap all call. i have no real read on limpers.

flop is all black 2tone Q43. checked to me i bet sb c'rs 1 limper Cold calls i call.

turn is another black card (making it two tone no flush possible) sb bets limper calls i call.

river is a blank non flush making card.

they both check i check.

comments on whole hand apreciated.

-Barron
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: black Jacks

I like betting the river here, I think JJ has value. Why would sb check the river if he had a Q? I think you are up against AK and a busted flush, or maybe smaller pocket pair. Everything else is standard.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like betting the river here, I think JJ has value. Why would sb check the river if he had a Q? I think you are up against AK and a busted flush, or maybe smaller pocket pair. Everything else is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you calling a checkraise?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:00 AM

river bet pls. you can put mp on a draw and the river check by sb shows his hand is weak. more often a lesser pair like 88.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 AM

Interesting hand. You're pretty much cockblocked on the flop and turn in terms of taking control of the pot.

The river - yeah you could bet the river but if the SB calls, the limper will raise or fold, probably fold, so it's you vs. the SB who is totally going to call. What is his range for 3betting - does it go down to 66? I think I would bet the river but it's close and I'd have to be there.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:07 AM

dont cap pf. u r just tying yourself in for 1 more flop bet when you could be up against an overpair and youd like to see if an overcard comes. dump it on the turn. the chances that the pf raiser has an over pair coupled with teh chance that the limper has a Q and in calling down but is scared of an overpair make y a big enough dog to fold imo.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont cap pf. u r just tying yourself in for 1 more flop bet when you could be up against an overpair and youd like to see if an overcard comes. dump it on the turn. the chances that the pf raiser has an over pair coupled with teh chance that the limper has a Q and in calling down but is scared of an overpair make y a big enough dog to fold imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this line. You should not be capping here. A three bet out of the small blind shows alot of strength, you shouldnt even cap QQ here IMO. Once the flop comes its find to bet here when checked to, but once your checkraised you should either fold now, or make a lose call and fold the turn unimproved. Taking your hand to the river with this kind of action will cost you money in the long run. Also once you make it to the river, do not bet, its not worth it. If you win this hand I will be very surprised.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 AM

I agree with your preflop cap. On average you are behind the SB here, but you are also way ahead of the limpers. I think the equity you gain from the limpers more than compensates what you lose to the small blind. If it had been heads up, I would think you should just call.

I agree with your flop play. You should bet to try to fold out players with one overcard, and you should call the raise because you might hit a jack and you might have the best hand.

The turn is close but I think you should call it. You don't have the odds to try to hit a jack, but there is also the chance you are ahead and for that reason it's a call.

The river is confusing. I would check behind like you did out of sheer confusion. I have no idea whether to expect to win or not.

Looking at the replies, I see some posters suggesting you fold the turn, and some posters suggesting you bet the river for value! One thing is for certain -- these opinions cannot both be right.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:53 AM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my questions were

1) do i cap preflop?

2) release tot eh flop C'R and cold call?

3) call raise or fold ont he turn?

4) bet the river?

i was not happy w/ the line i took here, which is why i posted it.

after i checked behind on the river i was shown AK from the sb and 88 from the other guy and my jacks took it down UI.

-Barron
Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you calling a checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to throw up in my mouth a little bit and call. Folding is probably the better play, but I'm just not that good.