Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 AM

Default First Hand: Toppair against a possible maniac?

I think this question is more theoretical than anything else. Should I be willing to risk all of my chips on the first hand against an unknown opponent who is possibly a maniac when all I have is a weak toppair? This is from a $15 mtt on Pacific. This is the first hand, and I have no note on the Villain. Table is 9 handed, everyone has t1200, blinds 10/20. MP1 calls, I call on the button w/ QTo, the villain in the small blind completes, and the big blind times out, so we take the flop 3 handed.

Flop is Q74 rainbow, the small blind bets 120 into the 80 pot. MP1 folds. Here is my thinking. Most people who overbet, especially in the spot like this on a pretty drawless board, are maniacs, and Pacific is filled with maniacs, so I probably have the best hand here. I see no reason to put him AQ- QJ, two pair, or a set. AQ through QJ is possible of course, but considering the fact the he was in the small blind, I think most likely he has a Queen that I beat. And again, even most total morons wouldn't bet twopair this way. So my thinking is that I have him beat, and that since he is probably nutty, I should just merely call and get him to overplay his hand again on the turn. And of course, since he is possibily a lunatic, if I do call here than I think I have to be committed to call for all of my chips on the later streets.

Thoughts?

Dustin