Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 06:28 AM

Default How to minimize your win - getting too tricky

I see players make tricky moves like this all the time. They usually succeed in one respect - I'm definitely surprised when I see their big hand. However, they often result in minimizing, not maximizing, the amount won with the hand. Something to watch out for...

One weak EP limper. I raise on the button w/ AQo. Blinds fold and limper calls. Heads up.

Flop KQ6 (2 spades)

I bet. Limper calls. I'm pretty sure he has a King by the way he called, but he might be on straight/flush draw.

Turn Q(KQ6)

Got him. I think he'll be afraid of the Queen and check behind if I go for a checkraise here. I bet. He calls.

River K(QKQ6)

Yuck. I think he got me, but he's definitely capable of bluffing w/ a missed draw. I check. He bets. I call.

Here's the best part. He tables KK, clearly delighted that he pulled one over on me.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:38 PM

Default use the rounders formula

You can spot these folks that will save you $$ a few ways. My favorite way is the Rounders Formula. When they sit in your game if they quote the movie 3 or more times in the first lap, you know they're too tricky. Oh and if they have a fishermans, or AceSpade software hat thats a bonus [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jeff
Old 04-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Re: How to minimize your win - getting too tricky

I smile when this happens. A true, heart-felt smile, knowing that Mr. Tricky could have taken a few more bets off of me, but chose to "shock and awe" me on the river instead.

Nicely played (er, by you, I mean).
Old 04-13-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Re: use the rounders formula

Hi Jeff--

My favorite way is the Rounders Formula. When they sit in your game if they quote the movie 3 or more times in the first lap, you know they're too tricky.

That's great!

Oh and if they have a fishermans, or AceSpade software hat thats a bonus

OK, I get the AceSpade reference, but not the fishermans... what's that about?
Old 04-13-2003, 02:50 PM

"I raise on the button w/ AQo"
"if I go for a checkraise"
"I check. He bets"
Nice post, but I think you got your position confused.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Oops...

Yes, position was wrong, action was right.

It was one MP limper, then folded to me and I raised from SB w/ AQo. BB folded and I was heads-up w/ tricky KK.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Re: use the rounders formula

The fishermans hat was a joke to a friend of mine. Jeff
Old 04-16-2003, 03:59 PM

This reminds me of an online 1/2 hand I was in the other day.

I am in the BB with something like J7 (not sure of the kicker, but it wasn't something I would normally play if it wasn't free).

Folded to MP who limps, all fold to me so I check and see the flop.

Flop comes rag-rag-Jack (suits irrelevent), I bet he calls. Turn is a brick. Bet, call. River is another brick. I check, he bets ... i figure top pair is prolly still good here and call.

Guess what he had? (answer below)
He shows a pair of red aces to take the pot. The funny thing is that there seemed to be a rash of this random trickyness going around that night as I had been beaten by unraised Kings, Queens, AK as well. In all cases it was a full or nearly full table and they showed no strength until the turn or river ... was starting to get under my skin until I thought of all the money I saved.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:05 PM

Ye gods. I too am glad there are players like this out there. I can see just calling you on the flop, I guess (although he's could end up feeling pretty dumb if you have, say JTs and the turn and river play differently). I can't begin to imagine the possible justification for not raising on the turn. You raised, so putting you on a K or a Q isn't too hard, so he can be pretty sure that you aren't going to fold to a raise (as it so happens, you would have popped him back, drawing almost dead), and will probably call a river bet too.

No point really, and I'm preaching to the choir I know, but sheesh. Reminds me of a story (I think from the Jones LLH book), where a player flopped quad 6's in EP and let it be checked around on every street.