Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Needing Gap Concept Clarification

In HOHV1 (Page 188-190), Sklansky's Gap Concept is mentioned ( I haven't read TPFAP yet), and I'm a little confused about one thing when it comes to MTT tourneys.

Assume I am up against a conservative player and using Dan's basic strategy (with adjustments made when needed) as a guide.

Harrington states "To Call, you need a hand that is slightly better than required to open an uncontested pot"

I am a little confused about how this pertains to position. For example, in the book it has the person in 3rd position coming in for a raise, and then Dan's requirements for calling a conservative raiser from 3rd position when he's in 5th position(AA,KK,QQ other mid pairs,AK, AQ)

My question is, let's say the raiser isn't from third position, but from 5th position.. does this mean I can call with lesser hands and loosen up my requirements because I'd open with more pots from 5th position? (aka, can I now call with things like A10 or AJ, KQs, etc??) Or does the same criteria apply when facing a raise?

Hope this makes sense, if not just let me know lol
Old 08-26-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Needing Gap Concept Clarification

I think it depends entirely on the opponent. I don't view the Gap Concept as a rule, but rather as a guideline. A tight opponent may have the same starting standards across all but late positions. A loose opponent may make the same move under the gun as they would from the button.

I think the most important thing I learned from Harrington's book was to view each hand in full context. The Gap Concept is just part of being able to put your opponent on a range of hands when they raise. Raising ranges for opening will especially widen in tournaments as the likelihood of stealing the blinds increases.

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, let's say the raiser isn't from third position, but from 5th position.. does this mean I can call with lesser hands and loosen up my requirements because I'd open with more pots from 5th position? (aka, can I now call with things like A10 or AJ, KQs, etc??) Or does the same criteria apply when facing a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The question isn't whether YOU would open with those hands from that position, but whether or not THIS opponent, with his stack size and relevant tendencies would open with. I've gotten in trouble projecting my thoughts and knowledge onto an opponent.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 PM

[/ QUOTE ]The question isn't whether YOU would open with those hands from that position, but whether or not THIS opponent, with his stack size and relevant tendencies would open with. I've gotten in trouble projecting my thoughts and knowledge onto an opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very true when you put it like that, thanks... I guess it comes down to tendancies of other people and then adjusting from there rather than guidelines or specific principals..
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 PM

you should also be thinking on a slightly deeper level than this when you play.

while it's all well and good to apply the gap and think you shouldn't call without a better hand than the average hand your opponent is playing, you should also consider the depth of stack.

the deeper the stack, the more room for play. the more room for play, the more chances to exploit your opponent. there are, for instance, opponents that it will be very right to play any two cards in position against, any time you think you might have a chance to be in a heads up pot. there are players it's even correct to play out of position against with any two cards, if you are sure it's going ot be heads up. continuing from there, you can find that the possibilities are endless, when there's plenty of room in your stack.

when you have less room in your stack, the creativitiy factor goes down, but there are even still spots where you will be able to exploit opponents without having the goods.

not saying the gap is not a great concept and all, but you should be mindful of not taking it as the be all and end all of the world.

citanul