Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Default four flush

I've been thinking a lot recently about what to do when there is a four flush on the board. Here is a hand I played today that I'm not positive I played perfectly.

Party Poker (6 max, 3 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666"> Button calls, Hero raises, BB folds. </font>

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 7.33 big bets
Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: four flush

standard.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:17 AM

Not much you can do differently out of position. In position though, I often check the turn behind and call the river or bet if checked to (depending on how the villain plays.) That way you save a bet if you are against a bigger diamond, and hands without a diamond that would've folded the turn nearly always stab at it on the river.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:18 AM

well played.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 AM

Do you think the average 3/6 6-max opponent raises the turn like this with just any diamond? Without a read, how often do you think I'm ahead here? Once he checked the river it was obvious, but also too late to get in another bet.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In position though, I often check the turn behind and call the river or bet if checked to (depending on how the villain plays.) That way you save a bet if you are against a bigger diamond, and hands without a diamond that would've folded the turn nearly always stab at it on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 10/20 game you play in there are more tags/lags and more c/r'ing on the turn. In position in a 3/6 game against a standard lp you have to bet this for value on the turn if you have position.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the average 3/6 6-max opponent raises the turn like this with just any diamond? Without a read, how often do you think I'm ahead here? Once he checked the river it was obvious, but also too late to get in another bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be raising the turn with 2 pr/set/pair...it doesn't have to be a diamond (it's a 3 handed game and HU at the moment...). I think you're ahead about 40-50% of the time after he raises that turn.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 AM

i dont think it is anywhere near 50%... but it is enough to call down
Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 AM

Yeah, that's why I said (depending on how the villain plays.) At 20/40 even there's players who I just bet this against the whole way, I imagine at 3/6 betting is usually best too. But I also imagine there's some 3/6 players out there who you could check behind against.

He didn't say what limit it was at either [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM

To call down after the turn you need to be good 23.5% of the time (assuming you have to call a bet on the river.) I think you're good that often easily against an unknown. You have the 4th nuts... a worse flush could play like this thinking they have the best hand, and obviously you're going to get bluffed at on 4 flush boards fairly often.