Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Defense against LAG

Villian sits and starts bullying our 4 handed table. Wins a few in a row uncontested. Two orbits before this hand, I bet PF, get raised by villian big from the BB, and fold my hand. Villian is not a maniac, though. I've seen him fold when reraised on the flop. Villian likely sees me as weak/tight.

I decided on the flop to try and exploit my image by flat-calling. Since it was more or less a pure bluff, I thought this was the cheapest way to scare him and possibly take the pot. This sort of play is very unusual for me though, so I don't want to incorporate it into my game without some feedback.

villain is at seat 0 with $460.40.
Hero is at seat 2 with $431.60.

Pre-flop:

Hero raises to $14 with black 88. 2 folds. Villian re-raises to $44. Hero calls.

(~90)
Flop (board: Js Qh 4d):

villian bets $70. Hero calls.

(~230)
Turn (board: Js Qh 4d 9h):

Villian checks. Hero bets $75.

Marlow
Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Defense against LAG

[ QUOTE ]
Hero bets $75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet more. Otherwise, standard.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 PM

bet more on the turn... i don't think villain folds many hands that you don't beat with that turn bet.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet more. Otherwise, standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think villain folds many hands that you don't beat with that turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could also induce a raise.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM

were you planning to call an all-in? that's what i might do faced with that bet in villain's shoes. and i am a LAG, as they say.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
were you planning to call an all-in? that's what i might do faced with that bet in villain's shoes. and i am a LAG, as they say.

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan is to fold to an all-in. I'm not sure he's the type of player to push with air.

I make the small turn bet to reinforce my weak/tight image. I want it to look like I flopped huge but am expecting villian to to my betting for me. When he doesn't, I thought an underbet might scare him off. Specifically, how much do you bet on the turn, and why?

BTW, if he calls, I move in if checked to on river (though I wonder if it would be better to shut down here).

Also, if he had fired a second barrel on the turn, I'm gone. I assume this is the only way to go considering our stack sizes.

Marlow
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM

either bet more on the turn or check behind and call any river bet.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:43 AM

Your bet is way too small. 75 into a ~230 pot? Who in their right mind would fold any piece of that board? I'd call with a jack and block bet the river if villain, if not just raise you off it.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 AM

ill come clean, i was villain. and i had AKo (and i showed, marlow, so what's weird is you posted this as a bluff). given the size of the bet i was strongly considering pushing all in but i thougth someone might call with mid pair given the way i was playing. i would have called w/ any piece of the board and definitely TT since it was a draw if not the best hand... anyway basically AK is the only hand you're gonna fold with that bet and you're beating that!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ill come clean, i was villain. and i had AKo (and i showed, marlow, so what's weird is you posted this as a bluff). given the size of the bet i was strongly considering pushing all in but i thougth someone might call with mid pair given the way i was playing. i would have called w/ any piece of the board and definitely TT since it was a draw if not the best hand... anyway basically AK is the only hand you're gonna fold with that bet and you're beating that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! You certainly didn't have to come clean. Thanks... this makes it vastly more interesting.

So it's unanimous that the $75 bet was terrible. What I was trying to do there was mimic a bluff-inducing bet. I had absolutely no interest in seeing a showdown. In that sense, it was a bluff. I couldn't have known that I was behind because there's some chance that you check there hoping for a checkraise. I even thought that there was a pretty good chance that you had a J, and I could move you off it with that bet.

As it turns out, this was probably misguided logic. I don't like to pot it there because I think a smaller bet gets the job done. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot...

Anyway, it was good playing with you fslexcduck. Maybe I'll see you slumming it again at the 2-4 in the future...

Marlow