Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 AM

Default A check-raise river bluff

PartyPoker - $15/$30 - 9 players

Button is 81/20/1.9 (108 hands). I had already played a bunch of pots with him and had been letting him bluff me and I was taking down pots with Ace high or small pairs.

Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PreFlop
<font color="blue">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button RAISES</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) FLOP: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 3.83 BB )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="red">Button BETS</font>
<font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) TURN: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 4.83 BB )
<font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) RIVER: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 6.83 BB )
<font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>

My feeling is that he will fold most of his bluffs and some legitimate hands here. Am I crazy?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: A check-raise river bluff

I'm not a big fan of raising AJo UTG. That said, given your read on the button I can understand the flop check and call, but with the turn unimproving your hand, I would fold here. Since you stayed in, the raise on the end may be the only way he'll fold. Certainly calling the river is a waste, but folding here probably is better than raising.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:58 AM

I think this type of player is calling there with any pair or AK every time. He probably pulls stuff like this quite regularly and will be suspicious enough to call with anything that has showdown value. Other than the slight possibility you might pick up 2 bets from a smaller ace, I think the raise almost no value.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM

Certainly calling the river is a waste

Only if you hate money.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of raising AJo UTG. That said, given your read on the button I can understand the flop check and call, but with the turn unimproving your hand, I would fold here. Since you stayed in, the raise on the end may be the only way he'll fold. Certainly calling the river is a waste, but folding here probably is better than raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

chock full of bad advice
Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 AM

I think there's a good chance the checkraise is for value but I just wuss out and tend to check-call here.

Rob
Old 08-25-2005, 02:41 AM

Trying to bluff extremely clueless players like this is just bad. Play poker in stead.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:42 AM

You should never try to bluff someone with an 80% VPIP, let alone check-raise the river bluff them. Just dont [censored] do it, he will call with 22. Every time.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should never try to bluff someone with an 80% VPIP, let alone check-raise the river bluff them. Just dont [censored] do it, he will call with 22. Every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience he'll call with Ace high and even King high occasionally as well, though he may 3-bet those hands and really put you to the rest. That's why, like I said, I check-call though the checkraise may indeed be for value, considering an 81/20/1.9 player borders on maniacal.

Rob
Old 08-25-2005, 04:09 AM

I can't see any argument for doing anything but check/calling the river.

The raise can't be for value. Though his PFR of 20% is certainly too high, it's not psychotic. AJo against his range of 3-betting hands on this board can't be in good enough shape for this to be a value raise.

But you said it was a bluff raise. Well, players with these kind of stats rarely, rarely fold for one bet on the river. It's probably more likely that you get 3-bet by a worse hand.